• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny swap question

Mopar It

NAXJA Forum User
Got an 89' peugeot 5 speed attached to a 231 t-case and a 4.0L. i found a 93' jeep cherokee with a 4.0L, ax-15, and 231 t-case. i want the ax-15 and the 231 but will they be able to bolt right into my jeep or what do i need?

AX-15 with the 231 will work, but I believe you'll need a new pilot bushing. Most of the swap problems with trannies come from the 21-spline and 23-spline tranny output. Since you're grabbing the whole package, that part's not a problem.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

small bushing pressed into the rear of the crankshaft. the trans onput shaft "rides" in it to keep it centered. change it to one that's for the year vehicle you get the trans from. It can be a PITA to get the old one out, but they do make specialized tool to remove it. You may get lucky and pop it out, but often you will need to work at it for a while. I have had good luck by packing the bushing full of axle grease and forcing the alignment tool into it. This forces the grease behind it and then forces the bushing outward:roll:

--Shorty

alright i figured out just exactly what that bushing is and im on novak-adapt.com looking for the bushing but they only have AMC I6/V8 to 88-91 ax15. AMC 258/V8 to 92-99 ax15. and Jeep 4.0L to 87-91 ax15.

the ax15 i found is from a 93'. so im shit outta luck on this one huh?

Also, grab the transmission crossmember and the rubber mount. They are different for the BA-10/5 (Peugeot) and the AX-15. The speedo cable migth be different too.
Tom

The internal slave is a cylinder/tube or think long donut hydraulic piece that fits on the snout of the transmission. It engages/disengages the clutch. You have to take the transmission off to take it out.
An external slave dose the same thing, but is bolted to the bellhousing. It presses against a lever to disengage the clutch. You can replace it without removing the tranmission. So it is more desirable. You can convert the AX-15 internal slave setup to an external. You would need an external bellhousing ($50) and the front bearing tube (??). Also the clutch fork ($30), throwout bearing ($50). You could get the factory Master/Slave cylinder setup. Or Advanced Adapter sells a kit for an external slave setup.
Tom

okay so what i'm getting from the 93' aka the bellhousing/tranny/t-case/crossmember everything wont be enough to do the swap? and i need to buy this external slave cylinder stuff?

Mopar It said:
okay so what i'm getting from the 93' aka the bellhousing/tranny/t-case/crossmember everything wont be enough to do the swap? and i need to buy this external slave cylinder stuff?
What you buy from the '93 should be enough for the swap. Your will be internal slave. I would replace the internal slave with a new unit. Probably dealership part.
If you wanted an external slave, it would probably be best to buy a complete AX-15 with external slave.
Tom

Mopar It said:
The internal slave cylinder will be resting on the input shaft of the transmission. You can leave the old one on but it would be best to replace it while the transmission is out. An external slave just makes things one heck of a lot easier.

The 1993 should use the "internal" slave - simplifying things, you can continue to use the Peugeot clutch kit. The cover and friction are the same anyhow, but the connection to the slave cylinder/TO bearing did change with the AX-15 (some sort of goophy QD fitting, while the Peugeot used a threaded 1/4" SAE flare fitting.)

And, for other information, I'll give you this one for free. "Everybody gets one..."

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70388

Save yourself a lot of trouble and just get the tool to pull the bearing rather than try the grease trick. I went through several variants trying to get out my pilot bearing, getting grease everywhere in the process, while removing it with the puller took about 30 seconds. Total cost was a temporary $20 deposit fee. What's the story with your Peugeot?

its junk and i need to replace it, found an ax-15. just unsure of which linkages i need and bolts/nuts etc im not too sure of every little thing i need to undo to get that tranny out or in.

Mopar It said:
its junk and i need to replace it, found an ax-15. just unsure of which linkages i need and bolts/nuts etc im not too sure of every little thing i need to undo to get that tranny out or in.

whats wrong with your ba-10? shifting problems?

just wondering, i have 225K on my 89 with the ba10. i hear all the time about how crappy it is, but i havemt had any problems with it other than blowing the internal slave. to me, it seems like a good upgrade only if the ba-10 was totally blown and unuseable/unfixable.

it would be nice to have the external slave.

Back