• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.9L engine swap???

dunno bout a 360 but ive seen a 318 in em. a 360 would be awesome. a 318 would even be a power house!

do you have a 360 sitting around to put in it? or just thinking about doing it

Thanks for the interest...

The 318 and 360 are the same dimensions. So if the 318 has been done, the 360 "should" be the same.

I don't have an engine yet. But I have a "toy" 97 XJ with the stock 4.0L / Auto. with 135K miles on it. It's still running very strong. But I've never been able to just leave things as-is.

I would think that the Dodge 360 would be an awesome addition, without going overboard. I'd like to also use the AX15 5-speed manual behind it...

I got a 318 in mine and I can't image have more in it. With 30" and stock 3.55 gears will break the tires lose on gravel at 50. I'll let you know what 33 act like on the stock gears later this week.

You won't be disappointed

I've seen pics on here of an AMC 360 in one as well.

TRCM said:
Hmmmmm....and I have a good running 440 lying around here somewhere.....

hahaha that would be a freaking powerhouse.

why is it just lying around and not in something??

Charlotte6 said:
Thanks for the interest...

The 318 and 360 are the same dimensions. So if the 318 has been done, the 360 "should" be the same.

I don't have an engine yet. But I have a "toy" 97 XJ with the stock 4.0L / Auto. with 135K miles on it. It's still running very strong. But I've never been able to just leave things as-is.

I would think that the Dodge 360 would be an awesome addition, without going overboard. I'd like to also use the AX15 5-speed manual behind it...

if they are the same dimensions. then go for it. i would say a 318 would be plenty of power. but a 360 would defiantly let you haul some balls!! that would be awesome to have in an xj!

the ax15 probably would not hold up well.

5.2poweredxj said:
I got a 318 in mine and I can't image have more in it. With 30" and stock 3.55 gears will break the tires lose on gravel at 50. I'll let you know what 33 act like on the stock gears later this week.

What radiator are you using and is it staying cool?

bigjeepman said:
the ax15 probably would not hold up well.

a T18 or an NV4500 would be great though

Stock replacement aluminum 3 row with 2 electric fans. It hasn't overheated yet but it been high of 70 so far since I installed it. I could clear the hood but it would rub. So I mounting a cowl scoop on it to clear it for good.

The 5.2 and 5.9 are pretty much the same block, just different bore and stroke, and use the same heads. I'm getting ready to swap a 5.9/46RE into my TJ.

If I'm happy with the mileage, I'll likely be trying to swap one into my 98 XJ.

5.2poweredXJ, what are you using for engine mounts? Did you fab them, or is there a kit available I'm not aware of? Do yo uhave a pic of it in the engine bay?

5.2poweredxj said:
Stock replacement aluminum 3 row with 2 electric fans. It hasn't overheated yet but it been high of 70 so far since I installed it. I could clear the hood but it would rub. So I mounting a cowl scoop on it to clear it for good.

Are you the guy I spoke with in another thread about efans?

I'd suggest doing what several of the SBC swappers have done. Run a WJ steering box that mounts above the frame rail and allows for a taller radiator to be fitted between the frame rails. Throw a large e-fan on their with a good controller and I doubt you have any problems.

But, a 3-core aluminum 4.oh rad would probably work good with dual taurus fans. I used dual taurus AUX fans fin my trail rig and it cools like a champ. As long as I remembered to turn them on.

I got my motor and mounts from an 93 grand cherokee. driver side is close to being a bolt in but my rubber mount on the motor is shot so I just bolt in where the trac bar tab was. Other side I drill holes and bolted it in.

You can still run a mech fan if you bolt the 4.0 fan blade to the 5.2 clutch. I stilling running the closed system rad since I couldn't get a 3 row from napa for open system. So I got a fill from dakota with a 4.7 which is in the hose.
2523955_44_full.jpg

2523955_42_full.jpg

2523955_41_full.jpg

2523955_40_full.jpg

More info on my cardomain.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2523955

5.2poweredxj said:

Did you swap the 318 in yourself (or have help with it)?

Did all byself except when I drop the motor and trans in. I had my dad help getting in there.

This wasn't my first v8 swap in car or truck. I got a 77 plymouth arrow that has 360 crammed into. Car the size of a geo metro. It back half with 26x11.5 slicks with a narrow rear end.

Back