• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

painting sliders

gijosiahh

NAXJA Forum User
Just order a set of AJs super rails. How many cans of primer and spray paint can i expect to use on these rails?

Also what kind of paint have you guys gone with? i know it's been covered plenty of times, but just tryin to kill 2 birds... i was thinking of using that rustoleum hammered finish spray paint. anybody use this stuff and like how it came out or should i just stick with a regular black? thanks for any input.

I had about 3-4 layers of Rustoleum black...I think it was the hi-temp BBQ stuff. After a couple winters with MgCl salt all over the roads, they are seriously orange and in need of a stripping and repainting.

Don't forget that the paint is going to rub off pretty quickly when it's trying to hold a rock away from the rail.

(Edit) Just for clarification, this is on a home-brew set of step-rails made by a guy out here in CO; they aren't the AJ rails but it's the same concept.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Get a can of either Etching or Epoxy primer, use 2 or 3 coats of the primer. Then a couple of coats of black Rustoleum. Should'nt take more then a couple of cans

I sprayed mine with some Rustoleum primer, then brushed it with some Rustoleum outdoor paint. MUCH more durable than my old process of rattle canning it with flat or Hammerite.

A couple thin coats of etching primer, followed by a good coat or two of your choice of top coat. I went with the Rustolum stain black. The finish has held up great and is easy to touch up. A good coat of primer is the key. A couple cans of each and you'll be good.

Hale

gijosiahh said:
Just order a set of AJs super rails. How many cans of primer and spray paint can i expect to use on these rails?

Also what kind of paint have you guys gone with? i know it's been covered plenty of times, but just tryin to kill 2 birds... i was thinking of using that rustoleum hammered finish spray paint. anybody use this stuff and like how it came out or should i just stick with a regular black? thanks for any input.

I painted my JCR sliders with the Rustoleum Hammered finish and its held up very well. Of course it scratches off when put again rocks but its easy to touch up. My steel wheels are painted with the Hammered as well and they are holding up just as good. I highly recommend the Rustoleum Hammered, it covers well and once it hardens, its very durable. I cant remember how many cans I used, Im thinking one can of automotive primer and three cans of Hammered. If Im not mistaken, the Super rails have the extra round bar, you may need another can of primer.

Last edited:
I brushed mine.
took a half a quart to do two really thick coats.
5 cans of primer

my rails are bigger than yours though, so maybe a can less primer.

I just did mine and I used about three can of Dupli-color Truck Bed Coating. It has a slight texture to the finish, goes on with no primer needed,easy to apply. the wait time between coats is only five minutes!
I am sold on this product, My buddy did his alloy wheeles with it and had tires installed after painting with zero chipping at the rim edge.
I got it at Walmart for about seven bucks a can.
Check it out.

87manche said:
my rails are bigger than yours though,

So is your weiner.......

Haleyes said:
So is your weiner.......
Talking from experience?:wierd:

I used a couple cans of primmer and two cans of flat black.

Every couple of months I touch it up, and call it good. They get hit so often, no point in spending lots of money on good paint only to have it get scrapped off.

My last set I had powdercoated ($80) and then I just touched them up with Krylon when I saw a bare spot from rock drags. Held up great with no rust for 5+ years.

XJEEPER said:
My last set I had powdercoated ($80) and then I just touched them up with Krylon when I saw a bare spot from rock drags. Held up great with no rust for 5+ years.

Was that in UT? 5+ years of no rust in UT translates to about 3 months in VA.
I avoid powdercoat on anything that may get scratched or beat on. Its nice for items that dont receive any abuse, but for bumpers and sliders, it sucks.

X2 the POR 15 metal etching primer or their "Metal Ready" primer first after sand blasting and wiping down with Xylol or something like that. I don't know what POR-15 is, but it's so much better than whatever is in second place that there's really no comparison.

Painting them with brush on oil based paint will give you a very durable, repairable finish. LOTS more solids in the brush on stuff.

I think I used a can of rustoleum primer per rail... and 3 cans of rustoleum hammered black to paint both. Holding up quite well after 5 months of daily use (I step/slide across the drivers tube every day). might recommend two cans of hammered per rail to get a thicker application (more coats, I think I did 3 coats on mine)

rustoleum hammered seems to be very durable, no flaking, and I've powersprayed the rails at the car wash.

Ray H said:
Was that in UT? 5+ years of no rust in UT translates to about 3 months in VA.
I avoid powdercoat on anything that may get scratched or beat on. Its nice for items that dont receive any abuse, but for bumpers and sliders, it sucks.

We salt our roads out here too.
All powdercoating is not created equal. I know the shop owners personally and they prep it right and use durable coatings. Several bumpers, sliders, control arms, skidplates later.......never had a peeling issue yet. I also don't smack my sliders and bumpers on the rocks every weekend with most of my wheeling being slickrock, not giant granite boulders.......YMMV

Speaking of salt, they powdercoat a lot of frames and parts for race teams that drive their cars 200-400 mph on the Bonneville salt flats and other dry lake beds...........pretty good coating torture test.

i used about a half gallon of herculiner on mine, they are starting to peel a little, but with a quick spray of rustoleum and a quick dab of herculiner all is well

Had one coat of Rustoleum primer and used 2 cans worth of Rustoleum hammered black on mine.

Back