• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission swapping

Mechanic_Dave

NAXJA Forum User
I've been looking around and I haven't seen any solid information on this. I don't have any problem with the 4.0 thats in my XJ, but I would like a normal tranny (not that I've had any real problems). Overall I like the a727, but in terms of ease I probably have little choice other then a th350/400. I just don't know what choices I have for transmissions. Would a FSJ 727 bolt in? Looking at Novak or AA it looks like the TH400 is the popular transmission, but I don't want to have to do lots of fabbing. Are there any other companies out there offering conversion kits?

Not sure I understand what you're asking...you have a 4.0L engine in your XJ, and you're looking for a "normal" transmission? By "normal" I assume you mean an automatic tranny, based on the examples you provide. What's wrong with the AW-4 that was the standard auto tranny behind all 4.0L XJs, and many supercharged Toyotas?

If you don't want to have to do lots of fabbing...nothing beats OEM options.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

i think by 'normal' he means hydrostatic shifting, i.e. non-electronic shift control. and while i know the th350/400 is a very common platform, i thought the 700r4's were an easier fit into the XJ?

not that i know what im talking about...

Hesco sells an adapter to fit a GM trans to the 4.0... there are also a few (and kind of rare) TH-400 trannies from older waggy's that will fit up to the 4.0...(i'm not completely sure how the flexplate/torque converter works out..

Leave the AW4 right where it sits. They are great tranny's, the only reason I could see swapping it out is because you want a stick. You are not going to buy another tranny and bolt it on and drive. You will have to worry about the shifter, 4x4 linkage, driveshaft length, output shafts, space, and adapting. It is not worth it.

Regardless of reasons I would like to know what options I have for putting in either a th350/400, 700r4, or a a727. Thing is if I find a 4x4 truck around with a great t case and some nice full size dana 60's or others, it would nice to be able to know what I can use. I am not a huge fan of the aw4 and given the chance I would swap it out. There is way more aftermarket support for these transmissions, and they are stronger, and lighter then the Aw4.

Mechanic_Dave said:
There is way more aftermarket support for these transmissions, and they are stronger, and lighter then the Aw4.

More aftermarket for certain.

Stronger? Maybe, certainly the TF727 is. I wouldn't place bets on the 700R4/4L60/4L60E being stronger though. If the later 4L60E is stronger it is marginally. The 700R4/4L60 has fab OD and first gear ratios though. 4.0 is unlikely to break it.

Lighter? Maybe the TH350 is close but then it is a retro/dumb non-OD, non-TCC transmission. The AW4 has a better first gear ratio (marginally). I have one of each in the barn so I know how big/heavy these transmission are having moved them around recently. Well, no TF727 but pulled one out of a Scout II once.

You're pretty much on your own with this. What are you trying to accomplish? Drag or bog? Otherswise there is likely little need to mess with this - lots of more useful places to spend time/money.

Is it just the manual control of the shifting you don't like? There are cheapish products to rectify that or you can fab something if you aren't afraid of a little bit of wiring.

If you are looking for a "shift kit" or a certain stall converter then the choices are pretty dear. Level Ten can hook you up (bring $$$) and most of the aftermarket trans places can make you a custom torque converter for "reasonable" money if you send them a good core.

HTH

Certainly not really the info I was looking for. All I really wanted was to know if their was any other retrofit adapters aside from the couple I have seen. I also wanted to find out if, with the adapters, the transmission would basically bolt in without to much problems. I would like to hear from somebody that has done it. Hesco seems to have some neat ideas. Like I said, regardless of reasons, because really if I do something like this, its for my own reasons, marginal or not. I am not looking to get into a debate, just some info.

Mechanic_Dave said:
. I also wanted to find out if, with the adapters, the transmission would basically bolt in without to much problems..

Guess you didn't read the above post about linkage, driveshaft length, space, ect...ect..ect..

"Much Problems" is an undertstatement

I'm not talking about the driveshaft and linkage. I'm referring to space, tunnel clearance, problematic issues that require welding, and fabricating. The driveshaft is easy, I work at a place that makes them. I guess I should have clarified that earlier.

I'd have to check my notes, but I think the SJ A727 will fit, and (this is the part I'm really not sure about...) you can probably also bolt a THM700R4 that used to be behind a 2.5L Pontiac or 2.8L/3.1L/3.4L Chevvy in there as well. I'm reasonably sure (again, without checking my notes at the moment...) that the AMC242 bellhousing pattern is the same as the GM V6-60 - but that should be checked before you spend the first red cent (now, where'd I put that notebook?)

Given a choice, tho, I'd rather stick with the AW4. -Ed.

Back