• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine swap problem.

jeepboy381

NAXJA Forum User
So I was helping a friend swap in a engine into his Jeep, and we ran into some problems. He had put engine oil in all his cylinders to lube them a little bit, it started but it smoked really really bad for about 3 minutes then it ran perfectly fine. When it was running bad it would run fine all the way up to 1500 RPM then after that start missing and sputtering. All of a sudden it ran fine at all RPM's so we decided to take it for a drive, put it in reverse moved 10 feet then it started running real bad again and died never to start again. THIS IS A 94 ZJ 4.0, not an XJ but pretty much the same in every way besides the auto tranny.

1 So it looks like he has no spark and the injectors are not opening but he has fuel pressure, what would cause this? Crank Position sensor

2 Would putting the oil in the cylinders and that oil burning have any effect on the O2 sensors?

3 He cranked the engine for a minute with the coil wire unplugged from the coil, I noticed it arcing electricity from the coil to the side of the distributer. Could this have messed up the cam position sensor?

Thanks

Wouldn't the Crank sensor either work or not work. I don't think it would cut in and out but let the engine still run for a while. Maybe I am wrong?

Well we will test that out then, they are oh so fun to get to! :)
When mine went out it died never to start again until I put the new sensor in.

UPDATE for all those that care and even the ones that don't.

My friend damged the TPS when he installed the engine, he put in a new TPS and it fired right up and runs great! Thanks for the replies.

Back