• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Video of Error Codes

jtkratzer

NAXJA Forum User
Here is a video of the error codes using the blinking check engine light. I've never checked error codes this way and I don't think I'm getting them right.

It's a '96 4.0L 5 spd. I used the Haynes manual to run the RPMs up to a bit over 2500 and turned the AC on and off as the manual calls for.

I got 37, 25, and not sure what the last one is. Can someone tell me what the codes are?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=G7BUEza94S4

I drove it about 115 miles yesterday, mostly highway between 65 and 75 mph and everything was fine. I came to a stop light just before I got home and while sitting at the light, the CEL (check engine light) came on.

I know the oil pressure sender needs replaced. I'm going to take care of that this week. Not sure if that's a factor.

37 - Torque Converter Clutch
25 - Idle Air Control (IAC) circuit

Any help?

I saw 12, 72, 55. 12 and 55 are the beginning and ending codes. so you only have to be concerned with the 72, which is a "catalytic converter failure".

xjohnnyc said:
I saw 12, 72, 55. 12 and 55 are the beginning and ending codes. so you only have to be concerned with the 72, which is a "catalytic converter failure".
The cat was just replaced less than 2 weeks ago.

When you say beginning and ending codes, what does that mean? A code that signifies the beginning of the error code(s) list and another that signifies the end of that list?

According to Haynes, 12 is battery disconnected, but if the batter was disconnected the vehicle wouldn't start and the radio wouldn't work while the Jeep wasn't running either...

I see that 55 is the end of the codes list.

I just watched your video and to me it looked more like 12, 72 and 55. Which would make more sence since the codes always end with a 55.

The 12 is Direct battery input to PCM was disconnected within the last 50 Key-on cycles. Which i don't understand becuase my 96 aways has it even though the battery hasnt been disconnected in a long time.

72 is Catalyst efficiency below required level. Does your Cat make a lot of noise it may have broke.

55 is Completion of fault code display on Check Engine lamp. Its always the last one.

Thats my opinion, I hope it helps.

A code 12 seems to always show up on lists as a "battery disconnect". But from what I've seen, it just signifies the beginning of the code sequence. And 55 signifies the end of the code sequence.

xjohnnyc said:
A code 12 seems to always show up on lists as a "battery disconnect". But from what I've seen, it just signifies the beginning of the code sequence. And 55 signifies the end of the code sequence.

What is a catalytic converter circuit, since that seems to be the only real code???

You say the cat was just replaced, I may be wrong but the code just means the second O2 sensor isn't reading the right values, so there might be a problem with the sensor itself. I would make sure that whoever put the new cat on put the 02 sensor back after the cat converter and or mabey it was broken when you had the work done, I think they are somewhat delacate.

nrl06 said:
You say the cat was just replaced, I may be wrong but the code just means the second O2 sensor isn't reading the right values, so there might be a problem with the sensor itself. I would make sure that whoever put the new cat on put the 02 sensor back after the cat converter and or mabey it was broken when you had the work done, I think they are somewhat delacate.
The cat is new as is the O2 sensor, they were replaced right before I bought the vehicle from the dealer. I've put close to 400 miles on it since I bought it last Saturday and everything has been fine until last night when the light came on. The Jeep doesn't seem to run any differently. Today I changed the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, and button, but those are the only things I've done to it.

I guess I can call the dealer tomorrow morning and see if they have any paper work on the work that was done to it.

That sounds like a good plan, give them a call and see whats up, but for whatever reason your jeeps computer seems to think that there is a problem with either your catayltic converter or second o2 sensor. Its not a big problem, and I assume you still have some sort of warrenty seeing as its so new and you bought it from a dealer, so you should be set.

It's fine to drive it. The cat code just means the rear sensor, which monitors the cat efficieny, is likely broken or disconnected. Shouldn't affect the engine at all.

lawsoncl said:
It's fine to drive it. The cat code just means the rear sensor, which monitors the cat efficieny, is likely broken or disconnected. Shouldn't affect the engine at all.

Rear sensor meaning oxygen sensor? I feel like an idiot but the XJ is new to me, only a week ago. I'm assuming there is only 1 oxygen sensor? Is that right?

Most of my other cars had two, one before the cat and one after.

There's two o2 sensors. One on the downpipe and one after the cat, unless you have a california-emissions xj which has three o2 sensors. Cali or not, I think there is only one o2 after the cat.

smokeman said:
There's two o2 sensors. One on the downpipe and one after the cat, unless you have a california-emissions xj which has three o2 sensors. Cali or not, I think there is only one o2 after the cat.

The Haynes manual only mentions the oxygen sensor, not the oxygen sensors.

jtkratzer said:
The Haynes manual only mentions the oxygen sensor, not the oxygen sensors.

Another reason why Haynes and Chilton's Manuals are almost worthless....

There are two o2 sensors on the pre (2000?) XJ's. One on the downpipe, and one right after the cat. The one on the downpipe is the important one, as it plays a key role in your air fuel mixture. The one after the cat only serves to make sure the cat is doing it's job properly. It serves no purpose in your air/fuel mixture.

99XJSPORT06 said:
Another reason why Haynes and Chilton's Manuals are almost worthless....

There are two o2 sensors on the pre (2000?) XJ's. One on the downpipe, and one right after the cat. The one on the downpipe is the important one, as it plays a key role in your air fuel mixture. The one after the cat only serves to make sure the cat is doing it's job properly. It serves no purpose in your air/fuel mixture.

Recommendation on a better manual? I've heard Chiltons are crap, but I hadn't heard of Haynes until I bought the XJ. For the BMWs, I used Bentley. But they are more than 4 times the money than the Haynes.

jtkratzer said:
Recommendation on a better manual? I've heard Chiltons are crap, but I hadn't heard of Haynes until I bought the XJ. For the BMWs, I used Bentley. But they are more than 4 times the money than the Haynes.

FSM (Factory Service Manual) all the way. Especially if you plan on keeping the Jeep for any length of time. My FSM has saved my butt time and time again from really screwing up repairs. I bought mine brand new for $100 from Chrysler Publications, but i've seen them recently go on Ebay for considerably cheaper than that, in practiacly new condition.

99XJSPORT06 said:
FSM (Factory Service Manual) all the way. Especially if you plan on keeping the Jeep for any length of time. My FSM has saved my butt time and time again from really screwing up repairs. I bought mine brand new for $100 from Chrysler Publications, but i've seen them recently go on Ebay for considerably cheaper than that, in practiacly new condition.

I'll look into. My birthday is coming up at the end of the week...I'll see if I can get it without shelling out my own money...

jtkratzer said:
I'll look into. My birthday is coming up at the end of the week...I'll see if I can get it without shelling out my own money...

That always works.....but seriously though, check out EBAY first before you (or who ever) shells out $100 for a brand new one.

99XJSPORT06 said:
That always works.....but seriously though, check out EBAY first before you (or who ever) shells out $100 for a brand new one.

Added to the Christmas list since I didn't get it for the birthday, but I'm not complaining about the satelite radio either.

Back