• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NSS...Best Place To Buy???

sjd78

NAXJA Forum User
I need to know the best place to buy a brand new neutral safety switch? Not the cheapest place but the best place to buy a quality part. I havent even priced them at the dealer yet but if someone knows of a good after market one that has been ran with good results let me know because Im sure the dealer will rape me. Has anyone ran the one from 4 wheel parts or teamcherokeeparts.com? I have already tried to clean and lube it twice and it still only works when it wants to so I am past the point of wasting my time on this one and just want to replace it.

Thanks
Sean....

you cleaned and lubed it, but is it adjusted proporly?

dont know where to get a new one, ive got a 5sp, but i would rather a new one than bypass.

just FYI, to bypass it you jumper out terminals b and c. They're in the middle on the opposite side of the clip

IMG_0008.JPG

Last edited:
89xj said:
you cleaned and lubed it, but is it adjusted proporly?

dont know where to get a new one, ive got a 5sp, but i would rather a new one than bypass.

Yes, cleaned, lubed, and adjusted properly a couple of times now and it still gives me trouble.

twoksl2 said:
just FYI, to bypass it you jumper out terminals b and c. They're in the middle on the opposite side of the clip

IMG_0008.JPG
Thanks for the info, I am thinking of doing this but your diagram is for the 1987-96 style of NSS. The 97 and newer use a different connector.

Last edited:
sjd78 said:
Yes, cleaned, lubed, and adjusted properly a couple of times now and it still gives me trouble.

It may need new contacts made for it - which can be made from sheet copper or sheet brass with a little bit of effort (I've had to do it a couple of times.)

If you bypass the thing, just bypass the starting circuit - wire a toggle switch or a press button in parallel, engage the switch to start, and disengage (it's just needed to allow the start relay to "trip.")

If you do replace it, I will probably want to talk to you about the old unit...

5-90 said:
It may need new contacts made for it - which can be made from sheet copper or sheet brass with a little bit of effort (I've had to do it a couple of times.)

If you bypass the thing, just bypass the starting circuit - wire a toggle switch or a press button in parallel, engage the switch to start, and disengage (it's just needed to allow the start relay to "trip.")

If I end up replacing it I will let you know!

5-90 said:

at some point in the near future, i'll be replacing one on a friend's 01 xj. when i get the old one off i'll pm you and see if you still want one. probably be within a week or so.

Ten High said:
at some point in the near future, i'll be replacing one on a friend's 01 xj. when i get the old one off i'll pm you and see if you still want one. probably be within a week or so.

I'm quite sure I will - I collect a lot of odd parts for various reasons...

Gojeep said:
They just need a clean and relube. I have a write up on how to do it here: www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm

Usually - not always. Sometimes the terminals on the wiper arm wear grooves in them just enough to not make contact anymore - which cleaning and relubing won't fix. I wouldn't call it "common" - but it's not exactly "rare," either. I've probably rebuilt ten of them by now - needing to make three new terminals out of twenty. So, that means that about fifteen percent of the terminals would be noticeably worn and potentially require replacement (when I found a worn terminal, I just made a new one. I don't know if it actually required replacement - I just did it out of hand.)

I just installed a button in my jeep that activates the starter solenoid anytime, key in or not. It was very simple - one wire to the solenoid, through the button, and then to a positive power source. No pesky NSS and it's just cool to start it with a button. ;) It also works nice to prime the oil filter after an oil change.

i have cleaned up two in the past with perfect results. however, i kind of got stuck with a new, late model, factory nss that i haven't been able to get rid of, for some reason. a friends been having trouble with her's in her '01, so i figured i'd let her have the new one and not have to worry about it again for another 7-8 years.

Last edited:
Back