• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ d44 into a mj (MJ build handholding)

xcm

NAXJA Forum User
So i have a couple xjs... and do my research accordingly.... yet here i am.... trying to figure out any potential problems i may run into helping a friend drop an xj d44 into his SUA commanche....
some info about the mj.... its a 90 2wd, with a re 3.5¨ AAL lift....
so far the plans for the axle include an aussie, crown vic brakes, and a tnt truss...

now the hard part... going SOA.... ive done 100% of my research into xjs... im sorry for not doing enough research, but some say a soa conversion is simple... some say you need drive shaft work...etc....has anyone done this who can shine some light?

is there any bolt in options similar to the jks upper shock mount for an mj? i would LIKE to raise the shock mounts.... but this is a DD (it wont be during the swap, but the swap needs to be short and sexy) then again, does a 2wd prerunner type truck need raised shock mounts?

I've done a couple SOAs on MJs. Er... Well, the same truck a couple times. First with an 8.8, then a 12B. Anyways;

Dropping it in SUA won't be a big deal. Blow off the existing perches and weld some on SUA at 42" centre-centre. Do whatever you want with the pinion angle, but I'd guess 0* would be a pretty good idea. Nothing else should be a big deal. But the load sensing valve for the brakes will be screwed - the good news is it probably didn't work to begin with.

SOA isn't really any harder. Put the perches on the top at 42". Either flip the stock spring plates to run the shocks above the axle (not a great setup, but it works) or weld on new mounts on the axle and the frame (better). What else is there? I dun remember, but they're easy. Oh, you'll probably need new spring plates, but I think that applies to either case.

And the driveshaft should still work, but it's a play by ear deal. However, given the length of the driveshaft, and thus the arc it travels on as the axle seperates from the frame, it shouldn't be a problem.

so the leafs dont line up from xj soa to mj converted to soa? i was really hoping the stock perches would work =\
i can weld... but i only have a mig... should i tack it, and have a pro do the final welds? (wouldnt be a bad option, as the truss will be going on at the same time...)
thanks for the mj perspective...

The XJ ones are definatly out. It will bolt up (I've done it, er) but it puts massive loading on the shackles, and tears up the bushings in short order.

The welding is up to you. If the MIG has enough juice, what's the problem? But if you aren't confident in your welds, you should consider a professional job. Pro-welding is cheap if you prep it all and have it tacked on.

If he doesn't have a SYE it should be the same as the stock drivetrain angle. Which is about 3* down or something. So the pinion should actually point 3* up (the 3* might be wrong, but you get he point becuase it's close, I said 0* because I brain farted earlier).

If you take the angle off the XJ perches and use it, it will be fine.

the plans have evolved to including 1/2¨ lift tnt UBE´S... which supposedly come with ¨shock relocation tabs¨

is there anyway to predict shock length?
cant go a week to get a set valved

Back