• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grinding noise?

WaXJ_Skier

NAXJA Forum User
I'm currently getting a grinding/rattling noise coming from the front when I turn my jeep on. Seems to be coming from dead center just in front of the shifter. Everything is working fine, I checked all my fluids (oil, brakes, clutch). The noise is there at idle and goes away quicker if I rev the engine while driving , but doesn't always stay gone. Any Ideas?

Are you sure the bendix on the starter isn't staying engaged after it starts up?

It doesn't sound like a starter

Take a look at the harmonic balancer. Mine made a rattling noise as it went bad, almost sounded like something loose bouncing around in the oil pan. Had it at idle, and it would speed up a bit off of idle, but then it would go away as the RPM increased.

Finally found it when I was changing the belt and the rubber had come out and was being hit by the fan.

w_howey said:
Take a look at the harmonic balancer. Mine made a rattling noise as it went bad, almost sounded like something loose bouncing around in the oil pan. Had it at idle, and it would speed up a bit off of idle, but then it would go away as the RPM increased.

Finally found it when I was changing the belt and the rubber had come out and was being hit by the fan.

thats exactly what it sounds like, it does kinda sound like its coming out of the oil pan, is there any harm in letting it be till I have time to fix it?

I was thinking balancer too, but ya said it was coming from back of motor. Balancer could be put off for a bit, but I wouldn't wait too long. Just to add, is it an auto? Loose converter bolts? allthought they ussually sound like a rod knock.

silent_bob_662001 said:
I was thinking balancer too, but ya said it was coming from back of motor. Balancer could be put off for a bit, but I wouldn't wait too long. Just to add, is it an auto? Loose converter bolts? allthought they ussually sound like a rod knock.
oh sorry I lost my sig when the server went down

4.0 AX15

Does it do it long enough to put a long scewdriver to your ear to isolate the area?

I had a car at work with a similar problem. on right hand turns their was grinding noise. It ended up being the starter gears moving into the flywheel.

My timing chain sounded like that when it failed. If rubber is sticking out on the balancer, I would trim it off and see if the noise goes away.

A starter staying engaged will sound like rocks being tumbled around in the oil pan. That said, I ve seen it happen alot on big rigs & you barely hear it over the engine noise. I wish you knew if it was comming from the front or back of motor.

whats the best way to tell?

Back