• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help- bad idle and lots of smoke...

jstone8952

NAXJA Forum User
heres the thing- i had a buddy help replace my exhaust manifold. i know nothing about engines, and he left with bolts tightened... but no vacuum hoses connected or wires hooked back up. i searched all over this site and google to figure out where things go, but about 2 weeks later still havent figured it out. my vacuum hoses are a joke and i have a connector at the top center of the engine (right above the valve cover) not connected. you guys have been great on here for sneding diagrams and links to sites, but i cant understnad what i am looking at when i go to them. can anyone do me a huge favor and take pictures of their vacuum lines and explain where they go? i went to an auto parts store and bought filters and hose and just put filters on all the hoses so they didnt suck in anything too bad, but the thing is kicking and stumbling at idle and smoking- and whne i floor it i shoot out a storm cloud of black smoke big enough people behind me honk their horns and move out of the line of fire. i need help... lots :dunno:

ok so if i want pics i need to give pics- here is the main thing i cant seem to figure out-
UNLOADEDPICS200.jpg

i dont know where anything on this goes to. the only thing that is still connected is the hose that goes from the air box to the valve cover. this next pic is what i have done to this point. i basically screwed around with what i had to see if it would work. the heep starts, and is dirveable, but like i said it smokes like someting else and the idle shakes the whole car. when i floor it it shoots out a huge cloud of smoke.
UNLOADEDPICS199.jpg
UNLOADEDPICS198.jpg

this pic is of the connector that connects to i cant figure out what. its at the top of the engine by the firewall on top of the valve cover to the drivers side.

I hope someone chimes in soon with a diagram, but in the meantime, I can tell you you must have a vacuum line from the rear hole in the valve cover to the manifold, a vacuum line from manifold to the line that goes along the firewall and down to the reservoir in the front bumper, one to the egr solenoid, and one to the vacuum device in the air box. Originally a bunch of these things went through that plastic fitting in the front, but they don't have to. That was just to organize them. In the meantime, if you are running with any of these things disconnected, a filter on the line won't help your engine performance. Cap the nipples on the manifold or stick a bolt in the hose.

#1 be sure to thank your BUDDY for sticking you with a mess. Prefferably with a punch.

First thing I see is your missing the grommet and tube that goes into the rear of the valve cover. That's for the CCV system (similar to PCV) I don't have a digital camera, But I'll look around for my manual and get something back to you tomorrow I expect. Did you atleast connect the fuel pressure regulator? It looks like the crank sensors connected but the other one isn't. I'll look in mine and see where it goes.

i will go out tomorrow and take some pictures of the vac locations and where they go. but for the running. there is a box on the fire wall. one vac nipple and a 3 pin connector. make sure that is plugged in to any vac source for now and that it has its 3 pin plug in it. thats what looks to be unplugged. and that would be your map sensor which is a key to fuel control. with out it you are in limp mode causing the horrible running. the rest of the vac lines could be unplugged and run the same along with the high idle but running wise it would be better than what you describing.

Back