• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's Long Arm Kit

JNickel101

NAXJA Forum User
Do your self a favor and order a TNT kit my friend.

Bad luck here with he crusty LA system. Arms are connected to the xmember.

How does the TNT kit connect? to the gi-normous belly pan/skid?

jnickel

When you get home go visit and take a first hand look at one. Shane down in Alamagordo has the TNT kit on his XJ. Looks very nice but I was only getting to see it during a stop on the way to moab earlier this year.

Thanks Craig! Forgot he had that kit on now...

JNickel101 said:
Has anyone had any experience/luck with the Rusty's Long Arm Kit? The mounting system looks pretty unique, different from the RE or TNT kits....

I know the general consensus about Rusty's products, but this one actually caught my eye and has me curious....

Looks like you can remove the X-Member without removing the arms....

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=RK-LT10-XJ&Category_Code=sus_xj_kit
Everyone has their opinion, and I've noticed that people tend to stand behind what they are running on their own XJs, and I am no different. I personally run the Rusty's longarm conversion kit on my '99 XJ and I LOVE it. By far the best upgrade on my long list of mods. The design and the 4-link setup is great.

One of the biggest things that drew my attention about it was the bolt-on design. The installation wasn't a cake walk because I had welded on a set of rock rails the year before, and one of the welds was located where the frame brakets were supposed to be for the long arm kit. So I had to mod the kit a little bit, which made my installation time much longer. These pics show where I had to cut the frame bracket to fit around my rock rails and I had to drill the hole through the frame in a different spot:
axle017.jpg

axle005.jpg

Offroad, the flex is not limited by anything but your shocks and brake lines. It performs so smoothly too, no clunks or anything when the suspension is doing its thing offroad. I daily drive my Jeep too, and it rides just as great going 75 down the freeway.

I will agree that there are other Rusty's products that do not have a good reputation, and I would avoid some of them, like the tie-rod conversion kit that I have, but as far as the long arm conversion kit goes, it has left me completely satisfied. The only thing that sort of surprised me when I installed it was that you use the factory nuts and bolts on the control arms. That's no necessarily bad, but I just thought that it would come with new ones, which it didn't. Here's some flex & poser shots:
Jeep003.jpg

Jeep004.jpg

If you want to see a in-depth write-up on my installation, visit my cardomain page: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/803172/8

Hope that helped. Let me know if you have any questions about anything. :looney:

I've seen those long arms break at the welds for the uca's. Go TNT

jeeperguy21 said:
Everyone has their opinion, and I've noticed that people tend to stand behind what they are running on their own XJs, and I am no different. I personally run the Rusty's longarm conversion kit on my '99 XJ and I LOVE it. By far the best upgrade on my long list of mods. The design and the 4-link setup is great.
Its a Radius arm "design" OK, not the most desirable for crawling, all XJ's are "4-link setup". Don't know what your talking about here. a true 4 link like RK or FT, would make sence.
One of the biggest things that drew my attention about it was the bolt-on design. The installation wasn't a cake walk because I had welded on a set of rock rails the year before, and one of the welds was located where the frame brakets were supposed to be for the long arm kit. So I had to mod the kit a little bit, which made my installation time much longer. These pics show where I had to cut the frame bracket to fit around my rock rails and I had to drill the hole through the frame in a different spot:
Being a installer of this product, I can't quite understand how this simple mod made it much longer.

Grade 5 hardware:cool:

djblade311 said:
I've seen those long arms break at the welds for the uca's. Go TNT
I've also seen the axle bracket break off a well built rig anyone can have a few bad welds. The only reason I'm planning on going with the T&T Long arm on mine is the belly pan. Otherwise I would be ordering it from Rusty's.

jeeperguy21 said:

rustys isnt a 4 link

Maybe my new contact's aren't working, but it looks like the arms bolt to the cross member, so wouldn't you have to unbolt them to get the cross member out? It doesn't appear to be a three piece design like Clayton's from the pics.
It appears the frame pieces bolt to frame, and the cross member bolts to the frame brackets with two bolts a side? Doesn't seem very sturdy. I'd stick with TNT for strength and clearance, or Clayton's for beef and ease of removal. Both are quality, the price is about the same, and I trust them to hold up. Just my $.02.

jeeperguy21 said:

axle017.jpg

axle005.jpg

Offroad, the flex is not limited by anything but your shocks and brake lines. It performs so smoothly too, no clunks or anything when the suspension is doing its thing offroad. I daily drive my Jeep too, and it rides just as great going 75 down the freeway.

I will agree that there are other Rusty's products that do not have a good reputation, and I would avoid some of them, like the tie-rod conversion kit that I have, but as far as the long arm conversion kit goes, it has left me completely satisfied. The only thing that sort of surprised me when I installed it was that you use the factory nuts and bolts on the control arms. That's no necessarily bad, but I just thought that it would come with new ones, which it didn't. Here's some flex & poser shots:
Jeep003.jpg

Jeep004.jpg

If you want to see a in-depth write-up on my installation, visit my cardomain page: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/803172/8

Hope that helped. Let me know if you have any questions about anything. :looney:

why do you have 10 inches of lift.

what are you talking about?! that comment has nothing to do with this thread let alone he is not running that much lift!

i think the y link radius design is very strong. i prefer it over my RK three link due to the strength of 4 point attachment to the axle and ease of adjustability. rustys tends to get a bad rep but i have seen this kit in action and it seems to preform pretty well - it was on nothing extreme like grayrock,hotsprings or tellico but for the do it yourselfer 4x4 guy without a welder this kit is great for the weekend warrior and a little more. granted some of rustys other products might not be as great as other companies, rustys just finished their production facilities upgrade and have a much better warehouse and cnc machines. i think this kit is made with great material - it is DOM. maybe their joints are their weakpoints but if the welds break the company should warranty their product. a broken weld is either poop prep, penetration of user error (installation) . i think this kit is a great long arm kit but not as strong as tnt. i think it is better a better design with the crossmemeber compared to RK.

I would have to say I dislike Rustys products. Went from one of there 3" kits to a RE 4.5 SF. I have however witnessed the Rustys long arm in action and was extremely impressed with its performance. Lots of flex and no breakage!!!

i have seen those arms perform and they worked great. the only trouble ive had with rustys products is the tracbar. other than that ive got nothin but good things to say about them.

Why wouldnt he want to use some JJ's or real joints, his ''adjustable'' design is pathetic.

aparke4 said:
what are you talking about?! that comment has nothing to do with this thread let alone he is not running that much lift!

i think the y link radius design is very strong. i prefer it over my RK three link due to the strength of 4 point attachment to the axle and ease of adjustability. rustys tends to get a bad rep but i have seen this kit in action and it seems to preform pretty well - it was on nothing extreme like grayrock,hotsprings or tellico but for the do it yourselfer 4x4 guy without a welder this kit is great for the weekend warrior and a little more. granted some of rustys other products might not be as great as other companies, rustys just finished their production facilities upgrade and have a much better warehouse and cnc machines. i think this kit is made with great material - it is DOM. maybe their joints are their weakpoints but if the welds break the company should warranty their product. a broken weld is either poop prep, penetration of user error (installation) . i think this kit is a great long arm kit but not as strong as tnt. i think it is better a better design with the crossmemeber compared to RK.

wow...someone would actually pick Rustys over RK...

I didn't comment about RK, which is what I use and the OP has seen in use on mine and another rig from his area, because he didn't have them in the original question. I love my RK kit. It works awesome for me, but like I said he didn't ask so I didn't think there was a need to start adding other options for the OP.

dude i have had the RK kit for 2 years - i eventually ripped the top pinon mount of the axle and got rid of the third link and used my two lower arms from the RK kit and built mounts off the solid stock arms and used daystar adjustable uppers to create my own y link radius set - maybe its just me but i had bad luck with the three link and feel more secure with my 4 link set up - i know not a real 4 link but it attatches 4 ways to the axle which i like more than three - sheesh!

so technically i am running 2/3 Rk? does that justift anything??

Back