• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35"-36" on stock axles

jk333

NAXJA Forum User
alright so my question is: im thinking about building my 89 into a big street rig. i dont plan to four wheel it at all. i want to run 35s-36s on stock axles. i know: "go with 44's or 60's" but i figure, if im not going offroad, and its just gonna be an around towner, why not leave the stock axles. i have a chance right now to buy front/rear axles from another 89 with 4:56 gears and im also looking at some 35x12.50 tires. for lift im thinking about 6.5 to 7 inches. i know ill need an SYE, but should i go with a transfer case drop too or? any help would be great, thanks :piratefla

PS: my rig is: 89/4.0/AW4/4X4

thanks KarlVP. yeah i wasn't too sure on the whole thing because from what ive read on NAXJA, it seems like everybody says to upgrade axles once you hit 35s, and thanks for your input.

35's on an around towner? well I guess that eliminates any sheetmetal damage in a collision, thewy'll just bounce off tire:rof:

If it's a 35, I don't suggest getting crazy on the gas, even on the street. Those things have been known to snap shafts, even on pavement.

one thing to remember is that there is more to it than snapping shafts and joints etc. keep in mind that bigger axles have beefier bearings and brakes... your stock axles will likely wear fatser than an axle that is more "heavy duty" but it's probably not to the point where it's more cost effective to get new axles. brakes are quite important though. if you keep the stock axles and do a lot of cruising, you never know when you may need to stop in a hurry, keep your brakes well mantained.:rtm:

BADaXJ said:
one thing to remember is that there is more to it than snapping shafts and joints etc. keep in mind that bigger axles have beefier bearings and brakes... your stock axles will likely wear fatser than an axle that is more "heavy duty" but it's probably not to the point where it's more cost effective to get new axles. brakes are quite important though. if you keep the stock axles and do a lot of cruising, you never know when you may need to stop in a hurry, keep your brakes well mantained.:rtm:

very good point.

i couldnt even stop my 89 with 31's.

i upgraded to a 2000 grand cher. MC and booster. huge difference.

You may want to look into a Chry8.25 from a 97+. You can find these at junk yard and then sell your D35. You could also look into new axle shafts for your D35 like some Yukons. With it being a street only rig you really need to watch your brakes. Larger tires are hard on them but if you are thinking about 18" or bigger wheels you really need to watch out. One of my friends went from 17" wheels to 22" on his 1/2t truck without really changing the tire height and it didn't want to stop for S**t. He had to buy a set of Baer Brakes just to get it to slow like stock again.

penz said:
You may want to look into a Chry8.25 from a 97+. You can find these at junk yard and then sell your D35. You could also look into new axle shafts for your D35 like some Yukons. With it being a street only rig you really need to watch your brakes. Larger tires are hard on them but if you are thinking about 18" or bigger wheels you really need to watch out. One of my friends went from 17" wheels to 22" on his 1/2t truck without really changing the tire height and it didn't want to stop for S**t. He had to buy a set of Baer Brakes just to get it to slow like stock again.

Let me see if I have this right. You're saying that a vehicle with 36" tires on 15" rims is going to stop better than a vehicle with 36" tires on 18" wheels?! This should be interesting.

This would go great on your rig

MallRated.jpg

so i guess after i can afford to put gears in it, im thinking about going with 4:11's. i figure for street driving, its fine. I'll probably be on the highway a third of the time so, those gears should work good for me. By the way: hahaha i knew posting this that i was gonna get a hard time from some of you guys. yeah mall rated, i know i know. I just had the Jeep painted Cherry Red, so i dont really wanna scar it all up in the woods, lol. :us:

if your gonna spend the money on gears go as low as possible

DON"T be burnin rubber man, that'll break shafts as quick as wheelin

i know that's why i said 4:11 gears, not 4:88 or 5:13. i figure if i go that route than, i wont be breaking axles.

Back