• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 + Fuelpump replacement

cj11

NAXJA Forum User
Has any one ever cut an access panel in the back of the cherokee to get to the fuelpump. My concern is I am going to by a cheap pump from napa $230.00 compared to the dealer at $450.00 so if I have a problem I can replace it easier then dropping the tank a second time.

Just put some anti-sieze on everything so that it comes back apart easily. It would have to be a pretty big hole, and its not all that hard to pull the tank. Chances are you won't have any problems with it anyway, no need to cut big holes in the body "just in case".

I thought it would be easier then trying to drain the tank and unbolt every thing plus I love my Makita Grinder. I find it fun to cut things up. How long did it take you to it the right way and what year cherokee they say the 96 and older are easier.

Mine is a 2000. It took me less than an hour to unbolt the skid plate, unhook the vent and fill hoses, disconnect the wiring harness, and loosen the straps to drop the tank. There isn't a drain on the plastic tanks so I had to drop it while it was half full, but that wasn't too bad. I had to spend quite a bit of time screwing around with one of the hose clamps on the fill hose. If I had to do it again I could do it in half the time.

I would disagree about how easy it is to change out. How fun would it be to lay in the mud/snow on your back and try to balance the tank on your knees with 20gal of gas on board? And the fill/vent lines are evil, especially when old and hard. Nope, this is not an hour job in the field by yourself.

Pull up the carpet, measure carefully, and cut an access hole. Mine was only about 5 1/2" square. Clean up the edges, make a stainless plate with screws around the edges and call it good. Now you can change the pump out from inside, without draining all your gas, in very little time. I dont see a downside with careful work.

Note; While cutting the hole make sure you dont light the gas fumes up by keeping it well ventilated during the cut. I used a wey/dry vac blowing directly over the tank. Also, the pump should cost a little over $100, easy to carry a spare.

The fuel pumps on cherokees usually go out because the filter gets clogged after about 100K miles, not because the pump itself quits working. If you replace it, you are good to go for another 100K miles. There are quite a few people on here changing them, but that is because there are tons of cherokees out there with over 100K miles. Other than the bad design of having the fuel filter attached to them, there just isn't much that goes wrong with them. Most fuel pump trail fixes occur because of people not running gas tank skid plates and crushing the pump, so as long as you have a skid you are safe. I just don't see the need in cutting unnecessary holes in a unibody vehicle, its a lot more trouble than it is worth.

But, to each their own.

Mark the floor with a punch from underneath when you are dropping the tank to swap the pump, and cut the hole while the tank is out. I can't remember if your hole is going to end up under the seat back or on the rear floor, if it is in the rear floor area you might think about making a ring that goes around the hole to give it more strength and keep you from bending the floor when you throw something heavy in back. If you have to cut into the shock mount crossmember make sure to reinforce that.

i had the donut gasket on the top of the tank start leaking on mine like 2 months after i bought it.

went to sears, got an ATV jack for $75 (the tank was full) and dropped it.

the only real pain is when all the bolts and hose clamps are rusted. i ended up having to dremel hose clamps OFF THE TANK, and let me tell you, sparks flying into the side of your gas tank makes you nervous...

pic:
Edit1-2.jpg

Necrobump of this thread.

I'm only getting 28 psi at the rail on my 99. I've got my HDO relocators, skid, bumper, tow hitch all tied together and really don't want to have to drop this thing. Any body cut an access panel before? Amount of space between the floor and the tank? I plan on moving the tank up there in a few years anyway but now's not the time.

Necrobump of this thread.

I'm only getting 28 psi at the rail on my 99. I've got my HDO relocators, skid, bumper, tow hitch all tied together and really don't want to have to drop this thing. Any body cut an access panel before? Amount of space between the floor and the tank? I plan on moving the tank up there in a few years anyway but now's not the time.

Bad idea. There is no space between the floor and the gas tank (they are flush) so you will cut into the tank on accident. You would have to drop the tank in order to cut the hole and it would probably need to be a cutout at least 14" in diameter to be able to get the ring off and the pump assembly out. The lock ring is very large- maybe 10" in diameter.

Just drop the tank.

When you order a pump, order new tank straps too. Alot easier then fussing with the old rusty straps.

Any aftermarket place make filler and vent hoses for the 97+ XJs? I know you can make your own, which is what I did. I do see you can get them for 20 bucks for the older 96- rigs.

Bad idea. There is no space between the floor and the gas tank (they are flush) so you will cut into the tank on accident. You would have to drop the tank in order to cut the hole and it would probably need to be a cutout at least 14" in diameter to be able to get the ring off and the pump assembly out. The lock ring is very large- maybe 10" in diameter.

Just drop the tank.

You've lost your mind! The ring is no where near 10" in diameter. If you'd actually read the thread you're posting in... the guy said he cut a 5.25" square hole...

2011-10-06_19-13-08_898.jpg

Tho, I do agree... The tank needs to be dropped before you try cutting a hole unless you're really confident with your cut off wheel abilities. I mean, it could be done but you'd be braver than I.

Last edited:
You've lost your mind! The ring is no where near 10" in diameter. If you'd actually read the thread you're posting in... the guy said he cut a 5.25" square hole...

2011-10-06_19-13-08_898.jpg

Tho, I do agree... The tank needs to be dropped before you try cutting a hole unless you're really confident with your cut off wheel abilities. I mean, it could be done but you'd be braver than I.

Psst...I wasn't being literal.

I have change several 97+ XJ fuel pumps and cannot imagine how I would get the ring on and off while working through a small hole in the floor. Pushing down on the new pump, while trying to get the ring properly threaded is hard enough when you can get both hands in there. Add in a bunch of sharp sheet metal edges and it's going to be bloody.
If you wait until you are nearly out of fuel, it isn't too hard to drop the tank, using a floor jack and piece of plywood, placed under the tank. The toughest part, for me, is removing and replacing the filler and vent hoses. Now that I have done it a few times, it takes about an hour to install a new pump.
One suggestion. If you are hesitating dropping the tank even once, consider getting a complete Bosch unit and to stay away from Airtex or just changing individual parts. Do it once and get it over with.
Rock Auto sells Bosch at a decent price.

Bosch unit already being delivered. Amazon was cheaper than rockauto.

Not so much worried about dropping the tank as the skid/tow hitch/bumper/HDO brackets.

Back