• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bastard Pack Issue (not hugging main leaf)

J-Roc

NAXJA Forum User
guys I completed my lift and all went well, lots of helpful advice was used from this board... however I have a slight problem.
My bastard is not hugging my main leaf... the center pin is nice and snug holding everything together. but as the "second" leaf curves up there is about a 1/2" gap between it and the main leaf and then the end of the second leaf curls up and touches the eyes of the main.

My XJ leafs were pretty FUBAR, my main leaf was inverted so I am sure it is the main leaf that is my problem not my bastardized leafs... Is there any solution to this problem? I am scared to remove the main leaf, but I am also scared to snap it in half from the stresses I am putting on it. Any insight is appreciated

Here is a poor photoshop of my problem, surely someone has had this problem before...

fubarleaf.jpg

how much length did you chop off the rear-ward end of that leaf?

i just did mine a coupla months ago, my S-10 main (as an AAL) fits up against my almost inverted XJ main nice and snug, but i think it went further back...

There should be leaf clamps there...

I used half ton chevy leafs (seemed like a great combo for Goatman, figured I'd give it a shot)

So my leaf set up is as follows:
XJ Main
Chevy 3nd
Chevy 4rd
Chevy 5th
XJ 3rd

I did not cut any leaf springs shorter, I just measured what would work without cutting. These came out of a 70's truck so there were 9 leafs to chose per pack. It rides pretty decent I might add, better then my rusty's 3" coils

I do not have the Chevy mains as one cracked in half so I tossed the other
I do have the chevy second leafs which are slightly longer still (obviously) so I could toss those in and remove the 3rd leaf then I'd be riding on the main leaf eyes at both ends.

Would adding spring clamps pull the pack together? I haven't had any issue running without clamps yet

Last edited:
my XJ pack only had one clamp on the pack, and it was on the front half, so i just replaced it with another one on the front half. i did just use the S10 main, however, so i didnt get as much arch to my pack.

might as well try a clamp... as you sit right now, its only a matter of time till the super-arched chevy leaves put enough load on that one spot on the XJ leaf that it starts bending.

I just snapped two more pics for clarification
So you guys think that I should run an even longer leaf? so that it goes all the way back to the rear eye?

LiftInstalled014.jpg

LiftInstalled015.jpg

Here is a shot of the front mount, the position of these leafs look MUCH better...however you can see how the rest of the pack is not hugging the main leaf...

P2070544.jpg

Last edited:
ok, i was wrong about that one. i would have thought it was a lot shorter. by comparison, mine are cut about an inch further AWAY from the eye than yours are.

the leaf clamp might help, but it will only stretch the main down to match the 2nd (chevy) leaf. if you cut it longer, so the chevy leaf ends on the main's eye, more of the load will be transfered to the eye, rather than a section of the main leaf.

might want to try the clamp idea, cause its so much easier, but i think a longer leaf is a better permanent solution.

just my $0.02 tho. GL

I edited my post, the second leaf is really a "3rd chevy leaf" I still have a pair of "2nd chevy leafs" (which are a couple inches longer - around 2 I believe) kicking around in the garage, I think this weekend I am going to change them.... I'm not wheeling right now so it's not that big of a deal no need to rush. Anymore advice is appreciated though...

I think a longer 2nd leaf is required. Do you see how in the above (top) picture, the rear end of the 2nd leaf contacts in front of the rear eye, which you can obviously see, this is leaveraging the main leaf up. It's causing axle wrap in effect. You want a longer 2nd leaf, one that extends past the bottom of the rear eye. That's where you want the pressure point on to be on the main leaf! Eventually, with your current setup the main leaf will fatigue and break the point where the 2nd leaf contacts the main leaf. That one point has to support all the weight that is on that end of the spring.

If contact is made at or beyond the rear eye as it should, then your problem will be solved as points of contact are established along the entire length of both springs properly distributing weight.

Good luck, I'm not an expert but I try really really hard :)

You need a new (non-fubard) XJ main.

Hale

I think:

1. The Main was already too FUBAR to really keep a nice arch to it.
2. The 1500 series leaf rates are much higher as well ansd that with the sagged out main, it wasn't meant to be.
3. Your best bet would be go with the longer 70ish van main leafs and the longer chevy leafs.

I think the van leaf main thread got hosed. but the center pin length is the same (I think 23") as the XJ. I believe that the 1500 series leafs and that van mian would give you a better setup.

or the easy thing to do would be to buy new leaf springs... :flamemad:screwin around with old problems is no good!

J-Roc said:
or the easy thing to do would be to buy new leaf springs... :flamemad:screwin around with old problems is no good!

i'd say, if you have the longer chevy 2nd leaf already, might as well try it (for free).

if you don't want to mess with it, get some quadratec HD leaves and some lift shackles for a similar height for minimal coin.

J-Roc said:

BINGO.

Probably the best solution.

Hale

Just did mine but with other XJ springs. First attempt was not good. I didn't like the line touch of the second leaf against the main. Second attempt is better with UHMD full length liners with helped fill the gap and gave a great ride due to no friction between the leafs. Also my second went past the eye of the main. You should do the same which will negate the main as a spring contributor and only as a hanger and spacer.

I would not do it again. The leafs are way to old with much to much rust and deformation over time. Get a new pack.

I had a similar problem with my frankenlift S-10 springs. I just went to a junk yard and picked up a different set of springs for an XJ so I can start over. I used the main spring from the S-10 pack to make mine with all the other S-10 springs under it. The only XJ spring in mine is the main spring. I had no problems getting out the front eye bolt of the XJ spring. It was the back that gave me problems. Now I'm throwing in some shackles with around 1" of lift as well. As a plus they have grease zerks.

I am going to refrankenstien these springs for now with the longer secondary leaf, I will not be installing the 3rd, this should allow the pack to hug together better, I will be making my own clamps and I will design them to hug the pack as well (I have a pretty crazy idea that should work anyway) even though it won't be that ideal for super flex. Don't have much to flex on up here in Ontario except for the snow banks in the winter so I'm not too worried right now. When I have all my expenses out of the way, I will be buying new leaf springs but now is not the best of times with school savings/insurance etc.

I will keep you guys posted.

Back