• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cost for hubs and ball joints

spike8152

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace my hubs and ball joints all around. I would love to do this myself but no time or place to do this so I have to take it some where.

Anyone know what a good price for a shop to do this would be? Thanks

hubs are about $110 a piece(try to get timkin hubs), you need 2
ball joints are about $15-20 a piece, you will need 4.

if you do it yourself, which you cant, that would be around $300

figure a shop will charge about 2x-3x that amount for parts and install.

The labor time to do all four ball joints is 3.6 hrs. and 1.8 hrs. to do both hubs. I wouldn't think they'd charge you labor time for the hubs, since they have to be removed to do the ball joints. These times are according to the Mitchell program that many shops use to give estimates.
The prices for parts listed by Mitchell are ridiculous, so I hope you find a shop that'll let you supply your own parts.

Hello

You can save a lot of cash doing it yourself ,or get help from friend

you can BOTH hubs here on Ebay for about 110.00 shipped
Item #140166174423

Then go to RockAuto for the Joints $10.40 each about $55.00 shipped
www.rockauto.com

That’s all the parts for under $200.00 (I have redone a couple in the past year and if you buy the ball joint tool at Harbor Freight for 40.00 your still only at 200.00 a shop will run you my guess 800.00 to even a hi as 1000.

RockAuto carries Timken made hubs for $93 a piece.

Here is a discount for RA

Thank you for being a www.RockAuto.com customer! To show our appreciation, we have a special discount for you.

Your discount code is:

Here's how to use it:

* Enter your code in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart.
* If you are using our traditional HTML catalog, please click the "Set" button to the right of the field.
* Your discount will automatically appear, subtracted from your order total.

**NOTE: We sometimes get calls from people who put the word "discount" in front of their code and do not get the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers.**

The discount takes 5% off our already-low prices, and there's no limit on order size or the number of orders. Use the code for your next order, and share the code with friends, neighbors, relatives, the guy at the corner garage--anyone you know who works on cars or trucks.

This discount code expires on December 4, 2007; so don't wait!

Earlier this year (beginning of summer) I had to replace all 4 ball joints. The shop wanted to charge me just under 1100 for the following...
2 tires mounted balanced yada yada
2 ball joints, as according to them I only needed 2 (but when I did it myself all 4 were bad)
Alignment.
Thats it. After I stopped laughing, I said no thanks and walked out.
Did it the next weekend myself, 4 ball joints for a hair over 100, rented ball joint tool and spent a few hours with my most hated vehicle to date.

Do NOT get the Rockauto ball joints for $10.40 each. They're the Spicer "Red Label-Service Grade" ones. That means that they're intended to only last long enough to pass an inspection or to sell the vehicle. Call them and ask. Don't buy ANY Spicer "Red Label-Service Grade" parts. I got one of their track bars. It lasted about three months on my XJ which is only lifted 1-3/4" and wasn't even off roaded during that time.

TrailQuest has decent ball joints at a good price. I got all four shipped for ~$90 just a couple months ago.

Randy's link has a really good price. And he's right about the H.F. press. I had to replace mine, but they did it for free and it works great. The reason it flexed/bent was my fault (and H.F. still replaced it).

"Red service grade" indicates that the part is not on par, in terms of caliber and quality, with the other parts listed for that application. Generally, one would only want to order "Red" grade parts, when performing a trade in, or selling a car for parts, and you need the parts that you are ordering to be merely serviceable for a short period of time. These parts are not recommended for long term, high performance use, and therefore are categorized as "Red" grade. That accounts for the low price, and generally, you would never want to order these parts, unless you can help it. So therefore the Spicer "Red" brand is not up to general Spicer quality. I hope that this answers your question sufficiently, and you have some use for that information.

Thank you for shopping at RockAuto.

(I removed the name of the service rep)
RockAuto Customer Service"

though....the service grade does come with a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty

IntrepidXJ said:
though....the service grade does come with a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty
Thanks, I never notice that. I still have the receipt and it's been fewer than twelve months and 12k miles. Maybe I'll get some money back or a credit.

Thanks for everyone’s help I got a quote from the place down the street labor was on par with Timber (thanks bud) and as expected parts were way inflated and I'm talking $500 for the ball joints and $650 for the hubs. So the plan is buy the parts let them install. Wish I could do it my self but I have no where to do the work living in downtown Boston. (I can't wait to move back to CO and have a drive way and hundredes of miles of trails only a few minutes away) Thanks again for everyone’s help.

y dont you hook up with some locals and have them help??? I am sure you can meet with some people close by man.

put a post in NAC forum requestion help in/near boston

ricot83 said:
y dont you hook up with some locals and have them help??? I am sure you can meet with some people close by man.
ricot83 said:
put a post in NAC forum requestion help in/near boston

Yeah that thought had crossed my mind. I may do that if i can find some time that will mesh with someone.

Slo-Sho said:
The manager was OK with this?
That is yet to be seen.
In the past the guys I use in CO have done it, but they won't guarantee the work so it comes down to how much I trust these guys.

I'll have to wait and see. Thanks againg everyone.

Back