• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much should a stock rebuild cost?

MonkeyBoy

NAXJA Forum User
I'm sure this has been covered LOTS before, but I couldn't find it using search. :( :paperwork

Anyway, how much should I expect to pay for a rebuild of a '89 4.0 Renix (with an auto if that makes a diff) if I just bring in the Jeep and have 'em do it all. I'm not looking for a stroker, or any performance boosts. Just the gaskets, oil pump, and uh, whatever else usually goes into a rebuild. I just want to get it all freshened up. The head gasket is leaking, and if it's anything like the valve cover gasket was, it's dried, shrunk, shrivled, and broken into little pieces. Also seem to have a front seal leak, and a rear main leak. So with ALL these leaks, I'm thinking a rebuild should fix all the leaks AND prevent any other problems from popping up for a while. It's a rebuild, or spring for a new Jeep.

MB [MonkeyBoy]

MonkeyBoy said:
I'm sure this has been covered LOTS before, but I couldn't find it using search. :( :paperwork

Anyway, how much should I expect to pay for a rebuild of a '89 4.0 Renix (with an auto if that makes a diff) if I just bring in the Jeep and have 'em do it all. I'm not looking for a stroker, or any performance boosts. Just the gaskets, oil pump, and uh, whatever else usually goes into a rebuild. I just want to get it all freshened up. The head gasket is leaking, and if it's anything like the valve cover gasket was, it's dried, shrunk, shrivled, and broken into little pieces. Also seem to have a front seal leak, and a rear main leak. So with ALL these leaks, I'm thinking a rebuild should fix all the leaks AND prevent any other problems from popping up for a while. It's a rebuild, or spring for a new Jeep.

MB [MonkeyBoy]
I'd say if you're having them RR&R the engine you'll be talking atleast 2k. Right in that ballpark somewhere, possibly middle 2s.

if you do the work yourself and no machining needs to be done, i think you can do it for under 1 grand. you should be able to find a gasket/seal rebuild kit for the 4.0. jegs or summit may have one.

it really depends on how deep you want to go. new bearing, valve guides, valve springs... are going to be more.

might be cheaper to get a jasper engine with a warrenty.

spend a little money on your own education and rebuild it yourself, you can do it at or about the same price as having someone else do it, but, what you then personally KNOW about your engine build is priceless...

I just had my 90 rebuilt last year. I pulled it and a local automotive machine shop rebuilt it. It had to be bored, milled, decked. I had the valves done as well, and a new engine kit.

All together it was $1800 with a year warranty. Well worth the money and it runs better than anything else in my driveway.

Im a mechanic and could do it myself but I needed it done fast. It took 2 weeks to get it back and I was rolling again!

Why rebuild it? We just put in a remanufactured (essentially a rebuild) 4.2 L in my son's 87 YJ. It cost me $1645 including shipping and core charge. I'll get about $125 back from my core after paying shipping from Ohio to Spokane, WA.

I'm betting here:
http://www.rebuiltautoengines.com/

This is the same place I got my motor from.Only thing I got to say is hope they don't ship your motor like they shipped mine....when the freight company showed up and pulled it off the truck I was shocked to see that is was strapped to a skid with a card board box thrown over top of it.Not to mention that they halfassed shimmed the motor off the skid which shifted causing the motor to rest on the crank....:callme: they blamed it on the freight company.
The motor has a noise that sounds like a timing chain but didn't go away even after I put a new one in it.A properly rebuilt motor with only 9k shouldn't have such noises(yes its in the motor)
lesson learned,I will rebuild all other engines I own personally....

Last edited:
Back