• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leakin tcase....

blackdoutxj

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 98 231, and i put 2 quarts of fresh oil in it, i was wondering if thats too much and if it would leak it its too much, it only leaks when i move the jeep other than that,it wont. no leaks when the jeep sits there...

blackdoutxj said:
i have a 98 231, and i put 2 quarts of fresh oil in it, i was wondering if thats too much and if it would leak it its too much, it only leaks when i move the jeep other than that,it wont. no leaks when the jeep sits there...

http://www.geocities.com/JeepI6Power/fluids.html

I'm inclined to think you're going to get "spitting" out through the vent hose on the firewall, once it warms up (most only get a quart and change...)

If you want to pull it down to a proper fill, put a drain pan under it and remove the TOP plug only - when it stops running out the fill hole, put the plug back in. You're only supposed to fill it until it starts to back out the fill hole anyhow, and I'd really like to know how you got the extra quart in there (did you stand the rig on its nose?)

no, me and paul and my bro, coverted my xj from 2wd to 4wd, and i had the case out, so i put 2 quarts in there.... so its only supposed to be one....

blackdoutxj said:
no, me and paul and my bro, coverted my xj from 2wd to 4wd, and i had the case out, so i put 2 quarts in there.... so its only supposed to be one....

A little over one. The XJ Np231 takes about 2.2 pints (about a quart and a tenth,) while the YJ/TJ version takes about a quart and a half.

You'll typically fill the thing as it sits in the vehicle through the top hole, then stop when it starts coming back out at you. Just like filling an axle.

You could also get some "blowby" past the rear output seal, if the fluid level is that high (another reason to not overfill.) Just thought of that a few minutes ago...

hmmmm ok, thats prolly why i filled it over i thought it was 2 quarts!

blackdoutxj said:
hmmmm ok, thats prolly why i filled it over i thought it was 2 quarts!

That's why I wrote that page I linked to - and several others on that site. You may want to pillage around there for your own information. All data is pulled from FSMs, which is why not all years are present (yet...)

thanks a lot for all the help and info 5-90:D!

Back