• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30/44 hybrid

2000bluexj

NAXJA Forum User
well, my original post was lost in the data that was lost recently, so here is a new build thread for those of you who are interested in running 44 outers on your 30.
I bought a used High pinion 30 housing from RCman a while back, and started cutting everything off this past week. Finished cutting everything off today, now just have to grind and clean up the tubes for the new "c".
Problem with the 44 "c". The tubes are bigger on a 44 than a 30.
What im doing: My new "c" is coming from a 3/4 ton gm 10 bolt. It has 3 inch tubes. I will be ordering some 3 X .25 X 3ft piece of DOM to sleeve the 30 tube with so that i can install the "new" knuckle yokes. For shafts im planning on waggy shafts with a 30 spline locker, chevy 1/2 ton outers with high steer. gears will probably be 4.56, going to set those up my self to learn how to do it. I will be updating this thread has time goes on and more stuff gets done. stay tuned.....
Joe

i know.... the idea is to sleeve to strengthen the housing some as well as get jeavier duty Inner "c". ones that are designed for 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton. in my case it is a 3/4 ton axle they came from.

x2, why do this to a 30 when you can use the same amount of money and effort (if not less) and have a true 44?

i want to try it out and see what happens. so far with converting the knuckles i have no money in this what so ever. i bought a used hp 30 housing for like 20 bucks, got a free 10 bolt with the carrier anbd 4.10s in it, cut off the inner c and am seeling the rest. so far i have actually gained money doing this. Its just something ive wanted to try out. Building a true 44 would have cost more too. plus if i need to upgrade to a 44, i already will have shafts, steering, brakes, and lockouts. all i would need to buy is a 44 housing and thats it. The way i see it, i can basically build 2 axles for the prce of one. the free stuff in this build will offset a 44 housing if i need one later.

I've considered this and almost did it at one point but..... here's the deal:
with the 30/44 hybrid the way you describe it, unless you retube it, you'll always have to buy custom inner shaft. While that's not bad, in a long run it can get expensive. Also should you be out of spares on a trail, other people's spares wont fit you.

You can't go deeper on the gears. At first I thought that 4.88's were it. Now I'm dreaming of 5.13's :D So with as much work (remember work is not free) as you'd put into the axle to make it work, you'd still be limited to 4.88's.

There was something more that was a downside, I just can're member it anymore. Anways, it's just not practical. Build a 44 HP instead.

I am going to running inner waggy shafts. The shafts used in a super 30 with an ox locker are the same diameters as waggy shaftsm i checked first. i was planning on doing the 27 splines, but am doing waggy shafts instead. i will be sleeving the axle tubes to both siden the housing as well as adapt the new "c" onto the stock 30 tubes. If i decide to switch to a 44 i already will have the brakes steering etc. ill just sell the locker and shafts and it wont cost much more. I just dont see me needing a dana 44 rigth now.

well, there has been some changes. i will be doing the sock 27 spline shafts with an ausie locker. a little cheaper in the end and easy spare shafts. i will be posting some pictures soon too. my new tubes are 3/4 ton chevy 10 bolt tubes with the inner c's from the same axle. i got this housing for free so it didnt cost me anything. i then cut the exiting tube of off the dana 30 leaving about 3 inches on each side of the pumpkin. i will be machining a piece of dom to press into the existing tube and press the "new" tube over it welding it all together. Tnt truss as well as ballistic fabrications one piece coil mounts, 3/16 steel i think. nice and beefy. also got the rear yota 8 inch to start working on too.

" i will be machining a piece of dom to press into the existing tube and press the "new" tube over it welding it all together."

thats what I did with my 44/30
axleandxmas046.jpg

Subscribing to thread...

Back in the early days on the Rockcrawling circuit one of the guys from Tri-County Gear did a build up similar to this, some of you might remember. I don't remember the specifics, but it was featured in one of the mags IIRC, seemed to work for him.

The debate between advantages of HP44 over HP30 rages on. I say if it's cost effective for you and you want the experience of doing the build, learning how to set up your own gears, etc, then go for it. I mean, there really isn't that much advantage to the HP44 over the turdy... right? :D

I'm in the process of building a front HP 44 right now, and now that I have torn into everything and done most of it, it's cake. To remove D30 inner c's and swap to 44 c's so you can run hubs and stuff is no big deal, and cheap. Why not do it if you have the skills or willingness to learn? Better than spending $1000 on a warn hub kit and it's just fun to tinker anyways.

will get pictures up soon hpefully. been too busy to even think about it. the outers im running are from i think 87 suburban solid axle 10 bolt. pass side flat top, which does me no good. the brakes are ok. i think im gunna reuse the rotors if they measure ok for thickness and arenm to out of round or anything. i have access to a lathe if i need it. im gunna run these knuckles for the time being, just reem out the knuckles and flip the tie rod. all 1 ton tres. maybe ill get a chance this weekend for pics. if not tues. i start school mon, no class tues, so hopefully will get somthinkg done. also have an 8inch housing to clean too.

2000bluexj said:
pictures still to come.....
I'm stoked! I want to see what's becoming of that $20 HP D30 I sold you. :roll:

Also glad you can spend some $ on this rather than fixing your XJ after yesterday's "mishap". From the pictures it looks like you were quite stuck.

Back on topic, this should be an interesting build to watch. I had plans for the 30/44 Hybrid, then a HP D44, yet I just jumped to the 60s... I almost wish I was still rocking the D30 and could actually drive mine... :eek: :(

RCman said:
I'm stoked! I want to see what's becoming of that $20 HP D30 I sold you. :roll:

Also glad you can spend some $ on this rather than fixing your XJ after yesterday's "mishap". From the pictures it looks like you were quite stuck.

Back on topic, this should be an interesting build to watch. I had plans for the 30/44 Hybrid, then a HP D44, yet I just jumped to the 60s... I almost wish I was still rocking the D30 and could actually drive mine... :eek: :(
sorry. i would have waited for the axle.... how is your build coming anyway? all i have is the center section with about 3 inches of tube sticking out each side.... will be getting some pictures maybe this week... im at class now, then work, mayb tomorrow b4 work.

2000bluexj said:
sorry. i would have waited for the axle.... how is your build coming anyway? all i have is the center section with about 3 inches of tube sticking out each side.... will be getting some pictures maybe this week... im at class now, then work, mayb tomorrow b4 work.
Huh, waited on what? :confused: I wasn't gonna use it... I needed the space in the garage. :)

My build... very very slow. I'd start a thread on it but with this slow going it would be alot of well... not much. Maybe when I get some more done. I just finished my tube bender, waiting on the die to come in. It should be here the end of next week.

Back on topic again: So you plan is to take the 3" .250 wall and sleeve the current sections of tube you still have attached to the center section? Thats a good idea on setting it up to use the waggy inners, will save on custom shafts and shouldn't be too hard to keep spares on hand.
What are your plans for the knuckles, brakes, outers?
Edit:
Just saw the '87 Suburban 10bolt comment. Not being fimiliar with front 10bolts, what are the specs?

Last edited:
Back