• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BEST WAY TO WIRE ROOF MOUNTED FOG LIGHTS

newjeepowner

NAXJA Forum User
Too everyone who has roof mounted fog lights. How do you have them wired? Which route did you run the wiring. Going to install mine soon and not sure the best way to do this.

They won't be ripped off if you mount them on the front of your rack... unless you're a moron and can't drive.

Drill a hole in the roof under the factory rack rails and use permatex or silicone to plug the hole. You'll never see it!

Make sure you wire in a relay!~

Edit!--- I agree~! If they are fog lights then mount them on the bumper. If they are flood lights or spot lights then mount them on the rack.

i ran mine across the roof rack and down to the split between the passener side doors, i then grounded the rack to the door latch, then i ran all the wiring through the weather stripping, in through the fuse box and went to the power from there

Drill a hole in the roof? really? OK, I wouldn't but hey, whatever. I would mount them to the factory crossbars before I went drilling a hole in the roof... I mounted mine on the rack. DOn't have them anymore, but I went along the rack and through the hatch then through the rubber piping into the rear and then down the D-Post.
Also, read this:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=904639&page=1

You've never been wheeling in the NW have you? Mine got ripped off by tree limbs.

lowrange2 said:
They won't be ripped off if you mount them on the front of your rack... unless you're a moron and can't drive.

Drill a hole in the roof under the factory rack rails and use permatex or silicone to plug the hole. You'll never see it!

Edit!--- I agree~! If they are fog lights then mount them on the bumper. If they are flood lights or spot lights then mount them on the rack.

Matt98XJ said:
I wouldn't recommend them if you plan on doing any serious wheeling. They'll be ripped right off.
nuh uh :D

as long as you have them below the stock cross member, you shouldn't have any problems. I did the same thing I think your trying to do, works great, looks clean. I just ran my wires down the driver side A pillar in the weather stripping for the windshield down into the engine bay, works like a champ.

Hey just commenting on my experiences.

oo7ravisXJ said:
nuh uh :D

as long as you have them below the stock cross member, you shouldn't have any problems. I did the same thing I think your trying to do, works great, looks clean. I just ran my wires down the driver side A pillar in the weather stripping for the windshield down into the engine bay, works like a champ.

lowrange2 said:

EXACTLY how i did it. Ive thrown everything at my lights mounted on the front of my rack and they still work and look awesome.

EMSJEEP said:
Drill a hole in the roof? really? OK, I wouldn't but hey, whatever. I would mount them to the factory crossbars before I went drilling a hole in the roof... I mounted mine on the rack. DOn't have them anymore, but I went along the rack and through the hatch then through the rubber piping into the rear and then down the D-Post.
Also, read this:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=904639&page=1

lol NO no no I didnt mount my lights to the roof... I mounted my lights on the rack... Check my avatar, you can see em if ya squint!.... I ran the wire thru a small hole in the roof. Under the factory rack rail.

I drilled a hole in my roof too. I put all of the wires through, taped them together and then went crazy with the silicone. A day later I ran the hose over the entry point and no water seeped through. I routed all the wires to the rear of the XJ, under the headliner (so it isn't visible) and down the rear pillar plastic covering to my relay center. You can't see any wires and it doesn't leak, I don't see what the big deal is. Everyone cuts up their jeeps, add different mods, slam into rocks and trees while wheeling but then are scared to drill a hole in the roof. I guess it just doesn't make sense to me.

Mr. Pickle said:
I drilled a hole in my roof too. I put all of the wires through, taped them together and then went crazy with the silicone. A day later I ran the hose over the entry point and no water seeped through. I routed all the wires to the rear of the XJ, under the headliner (so it isn't visible) and down the rear pillar plastic covering to my relay center. You can't see any wires and it doesn't leak, I don't see what the big deal is. Everyone cuts up their jeeps, add different mods, slam into rocks and trees while wheeling but then are scared to drill a hole in the roof. I guess it just doesn't make sense to me.

Lol...for real! Like previously said, make sure you buy the correct type of light to put up there. Buy driving or spot lights, not "fog" lights, for the roof.

There is a huge difference betweem driving/sopt lights, and fog lights. And you should notice whichever you purchase right away lol. Spot lights have no cutoff, good for long ranges and a more "round" output. Foglights have a cutoff shield, which limits the light's height. Thus keeping it below the fog.

Here is a stock Blazer brand projector foglight. Note the lazerbeam cutoff.
ionstock.jpg

And here is a KC Daylighter spotlight. Big difference.
spot.jpg

I used a RockRatz light bar. It hides the wiring inside. Ran the wiring right along the factory luggage rack (using the front torx bolt under the plastic end cap as my ground), drilled a hole in the rain gutter (sealed with sika auto glass urethane), ran it along the top of the door seal to the hollow A pillar foam seal, and down into the engine bay through the fender. Run your wiring on the passenger, that way your battery will be closer.

here you go, this is my brother's jeep, he whipped up the light bar in a few hours, the lights are hella 500's right out of the mopar jeep catalog...they are wired in parallel from a relay, thus keeping the amps down....I think he just drilled a hole in the roof, and siliconed it up....I can get more pics of the mount if you want, it's real simple, and real strong it's also braced into the roofrack.

Justin

DSC04524.jpg

i mounted my lights to a facotry roof rack and ran all the wireing inside of it. grounded each light to the bar itself then grounded the bar to the forward end of the roof rack rails where that screw is for the end cap. running the positives i driled a hole in the roof and used a wire seal found at west marine.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...tegory:Wire+Support/Heat+Shrink&storeId=10001

i sealed inside and out of that and also every area i could on the rack and the lights themselves with some black sealant.. i forget which kind i used though. its been a while. wound up not even using alot of sealant though.. its been a good 8 monthes since i put them in and havent had a single drop of water comeing in through that hole lights still works no problems no complaints the wires make a nice clean run down to the roof from the rack. ... i have a pic if itll help.

Back