• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Post Header Install Question

JAS

NAXJA Forum User
OK.. I have just installed a header and tonight I had it out for the first time with everything buttoned up.

For a 15 mile round trip I found that I had noticiable heat in the foot well and everything felt much warmer under the hood than before the header went on.

I have no leaks in the exhaust, and the temp stayed very solid at 210.

Should a header install boost the underhood temps alot or just a little?

this is just a shot in the dark...but maybe your new header just dissipates heat better than the stock one? i'm sure its made of a different material than the stock one, right?

make sure it seated fully!!! its a pain in the ass to get it to sit flush against the head. if you smell exhaust at all under the hood its not sitting flush against the head. it took me and my buddy an hour just to get it lined up right. it should lower the underhood temps, not raise them.

GrimmJeeper said:
make sure it seated fully!!! its a pain in the ass to get it to sit flush against the head. if you smell exhaust at all under the hood its not sitting flush against the head. it took me and my buddy an hour just to get it lined up right. it should lower the underhood temps, not raise them.

It is flush... When cold and just started I have run my hands along the block and the gasket area trying to feel leaks. I can not feel any leaks.

I hear no leaks also The cracked manifold that I replaced I could hear it, I could feel the leak. Even with it off I could not see the crack in the old manifold.

Thanks
Jeff

Keep me posted on this one. I just bought the Banks TorqueTube for my 2000. How did the install gofor ya?

I would think that the extra tubes would increase the heat "foot print" as to say you would have six long tubes dissipating heat as appose to the two on the factory style.
I would vote you could feel more heat due to the much larger surface area gained with the extra full length tubes

Comanchedude said:
I would think that the extra tubes would increase the heat "foot print" as to say you would have six long tubes dissipating heat as appose to the two on the factory style.
I would vote you could feel more heat due to the much larger surface area gained with the extra full length tubes

Yea...I knew there would be an increase but this is more than I expected.

jbmoose said:
Keep me posted on this one. I just bought the Banks TorqueTube for my 2000. How did the install gofor ya?

Not bad but the only way to swing an 18-inch torque wrench on some of bolts is to have the engine sitting on a stand in the middle of the garage.

I think it was in the JEGS catalog that arrived the day after that I saw some manifold bolts with the hex key style heads on them. With the tool going inside the bolt head instead of the outside of it like a wrench or a socket it think would have made it much easier.

Like these bolts at JEGS

That would have made it easier than the 9/16 heads that I had. A wobble extension was great to have and I wish I had a flex socket for a couple of them.

My research said that the exhaust header bolts are special and have higher than normal bronze content to take the heat. This may or may not be true but for 12 –15 dollars the special bolts are better than doing it a second time.

I also recommend doing a motor mounts at the same time for 2 reasons.

1) They are stupid easy on the driver’s side when the manifolds are out of the way. (Not that it is that hard with the manifolds on)

2) A cracked exhaust manifold will contribute to the deterioration of the drivers side mount. A rotting drivers side mount will allow the engine to move around an pull on the exhaust and the manifold making it crack more and spew even more hot exhaust onto the mount.

Here are some pics….

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=59837

I almost forgot there is a special tool to have to get the fuel line off. I think it was like $8 at the parts counter. It is the little plastic disks set to get the quick connect lines apart.

I have been very confident that the exhaust manifold is on there and not leaking. When cold and freshly started I have run my hands around the gasket area feeling for leaks.. There are none.

However on the intake I have been worried that I have a leak and that will cause one or two of the cylinders to run extra lean...I am not sure how to verify this.

Jeff

Last edited:
Back