• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overdrive not working 97 + XJ

scottanchee

NAXJA Forum User
I had a prob with my O.D. not working on and off for 6 months or more . I finally got it fixed , I have gotten a few e_mails asking if I had figured it out from my last post on here asking what it might be , so I thought I would let everyone know what it was .
It was the neutral safty switch , on the pass side of the trannie , hard to get off , but it cured the prob $ 160 Canadian , crown part $380 from the stealership
I hope this helps out someone

Seen them go bad before with the exact same symptoms...I'd be willing to bet your CEL was on as well? Espensive little buggers those NSS's....

Can't believe NSS's are so pricey, considering they are smaller than a cup of joe and basically a switch.

Rebuild a junkyard unit if you can't rebuild your own.

After taking mine apart last week, breaking most of it, cleaning it up and reinstalling, it works fine. The split threaded part was bonded to the shaft, and to get it off, I had to break all four of the threaded tabs off. I thought I was gonna have to buy a new one, but I decided to give it a try without the big nut on there. Works fine, just can't tighten the 12mm bolt very tight or it binds.

could the NSS cause inconsistant problems with OD and the torque converter not locking up sometimes and kicking on the CEL codes 700 and 740?????

DementedXJ said:
could the NSS cause inconsistant problems with OD and the torque converter not locking up sometimes and kicking on the CEL codes 700 and 740?????

Yes. Actually, those are the codes and symptoms that usually appear when the NSS has bit the dust.

well you guys just made me a happy camper!!! I was beginning to think my TCU was failing. I had a problem starting the XJ maybe 4-5 times and then it dissapered im guessing that was the NSS as well cause when i put it in neutral it fired up fine..

Is there a tutorial on cleaning/fixing it?? thanks a ton guys!

Back