• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Haunted XJ?

falcon556

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 XJ which is a great Jeep in everything except one.
The radio.
I had an aftermarket radio that one day stopped working on AM. The FM part worked great. I bought an OEM radio and installed it. Worked great for about a year and then the AM died. The FM is working.
I've had a number of cars up to now and never before had a radio go bad at all.
What is the chance that two radios, one aftermarket and one OEM both loose AM only.

Odd. Do you get any sound at all on AM? Or just the noisy static? Do all of your FM stations come in OK?

Blaine B. said:
Who needs AM? Tis crap anyway! The Jeep is trying to save you...it's like a friendly ghost. What's his name....Casper.

lol... Actually, I used to listen to AM for traffic reports when driving around LA.

Now that I have real-time traffic on my GPS, I'd never know if my AM went out.

Could be worse, a woman on Moparchat is about to buy a '70 440 Challenger with minor surface rust and very repairable front end damage for only $150 U.S................but the catch is that the guy driving at the time of the wreck didn't survive, but some of his bit's and pieces are still in the car, spirit and all supposedly:shocked: :skull1: :skull2:

Check your antenna wires clean and seal with dielectric grease. Had same problem and I took care of it today in the unseasonably hot and humid fall day,may have lost some weight sweating out there
Oh wait Packer game today time for a 12 pack.lol:woohoo:

Jeepm@n said:
Check your antenna wires clean and seal with dielectric grease. Had same problem and I took care of it today in the unseasonably hot and humid fall day,may have lost some weight sweating out there
Oh wait Packer game today time for a 12 pack.lol:woohoo:

Yep, gotta have AM for football coverage. Vikings fan BTW:moon: , although I'm not sure I should admit it.:tears:

Sorry for the late reply, I was away. I do get some static and barely hear something way out there. I considered the antenna the first time, removed the radio checked the coax, everything looked good no AM.
I bought an old OEM radio from one of the guys on the forum (I wonder if it is still under warranty :) ), installed it and worked perfectly for about a year and then, no AM. Messing with the antenna didn't fix the original which stayed bad till I replaced it. This one acts exactly the same way as the old.

Fixed it, the antenna coax is in two pieces that connect behind a trim panel next to the door hinge. The connector fell apart and disconnected. I reconnected it and safetywired it. That will be the place to check if there is a next time.
It seems that in the original radio the AM actually failed (at the time I thought it was EMP from a nearby lightning strike) and the second had coax failure.
Thanks for the input everybody.

Jeepm@n said:

Yep, you need a working antenna and good connection for AM.

falcon556 said:
Fixed it, the antenna coax is in two pieces that connect behind a trim panel next to the door hinge. The connector fell apart and disconnected. I reconnected it and safetywired it. That will be the place to check if there is a next time.
It seems that in the original radio the AM actually failed (at the time I thought it was EMP from a nearby lightning strike) and the second had coax failure.
Thanks for the input everybody.

it's great when one replies with the correction to their problem so everyone can learn from the experience. Thank you.

Back