• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hella Fog Lights

mgreen84

NAXJA Forum User
I have a set of hella proburners I want to install on my 99 Classic that did not come with factory fog lights. I will be putting them into the space on the lower bumper where the factory ones would have set.....is there a quick way to maybe tap into the harness or plug that would have ran the factory lights if they had been so equipped??

these are small, blue colored lenses, about 2 inches across...not the large round ones

Regardless of the wattage I recommend running a separate wire loom to those lights using a relay to carry the current. If you want a wiring diagram and instructions PM me.

jeeperjohn said:
Regardless of the wattage I recommend running a separate wire loom to those lights using a relay to carry the current. If you want a wiring diagram and instructions PM me.

What he said. The factory wiring is bear minimum wiring and you'll see a fair amount of drop through it. Take the extra time to run the separate wiring and relay so you don't have to do it twice.

i installed some hella 500s yesterday, and everyone i came into contact with about them, asked if they could just use the stock harness... fight the urge, wiring is not that hard...
if you see smoke, unplug it

FYI if you dont have factory foglights there is no wiring except from where the switch would be. I thought since the pigtail is there for the switch all the other wiring would be there but theres not any wiring in place for the relays or any going to wher the fog lights would be. So i went through and did it right ran 12ga wire from the relay so im good for more then 55w, its some good practice for wiring but if youre not too good at wiring get one of the wiring harnesses from Hella of KC

Last edited:
yeah so the hella 500's will short out fuses in about 2 seconds if you try to ground them to the battery

i couldnt find that anywhere on here and i was burnin fuses till i thought about it again

Back