• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33's and 3.07's

chris_amrein

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone run this combo? I am ready to buy tires but not ready to buy gears. I would need another 3 - 6 months before i could afford to regear it. Bad idea?

Thanks, Chris

I did for a short time. My clutch didn't appreciate it. Neither did my gas mileage. Performance sucks too.
Dave

Thats what Im running right now. My mileage is 10-12 MPG and 4th gear is useless. Its not too bad, but I bought it with 33's on it, so I have nothing to compare it to.

as mentioned above, it can be done but is not good. A kid that is in our club was running 35's on a TJ with 3.07s....we were always having to pull him out....

A friend of mine runs that, and he really can't crawl over anything. He has to use speed to get over stuff and I personally like to go slow so I don't brake stuff.

I ran 3:07's with 31's for about 18 months and that was rough. I can't imagine running 33's :eek:.

I would try to avoid it if at all possible.

I did it for a while and it was not fun. If you are sure you will have gears in a few months you can do it, but if it is one of those things that get put off until next time I would buy the gears 1st and the tires down the road.

33's and 3.07's......it'd be like driving a wounded XJ.

:doh:

Hale

i have a tj that had the same set-up 5th gear was useless, gas milage sucked, and not much power but its runnable i got 4.56's now and can craw all over the place, plenty of power, and i have a 5th gear again! so it can be done if you can deal with it.

Thanks for the good advice.

I know I want to do gears and locker in the next 3 months, but that could turn into 3 years and I don't think 3.07's and 33's sounds like the hot set up.

Thanks again.

Chris

Once again, good advice and someone smart enough to listen to it prevails...I salute you all....:worship:

Wounded XJ said:
It was, but now I have 4:56. :greensmok

You're golden then.

:cheers:

Hale

did 3.07s and 32s it sucked and casued over heating issues and like everybody else said crappy milage

I run 3.07's with 32's and aside from 5th being useless if there are any hills, it really isn't that bad. Of course I bought the Jeep with 31's and it drove basically the same way, so I have never experiences what it would feel like stock.

3.55's and 31's with the auto is MORE than punctual enough, I am sure if you had 3.55's stock you could run 33's and be ok although a bit slower than normal.

if you plan to regear in 3 months time I would say go for it- remember it aint cheap to regear. plan accordingly.

L.R.

LoneRanger said:
3.55's and 31's with the auto is MORE than punctual enough, I am sure if you had 3.55's stock you could run 33's and be ok although a bit slower than normal.

if you plan to regear in 3 months time I would say go for it- remember it aint cheap to regear. plan accordingly.

L.R.
Wrong, why wear your motor, tranny and trick the ECU

edit. your in Fla. You boys run 39's on 3.07's, Dana 30. GO FOR IT!!!!!

Back