• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LaBaron Hood Vents

blackdoutxj

NAXJA Forum User
just got a pair... how big should the whole be and do i need to take off the hood?!thanks!

iwas gonna use a 4 1/2" angle grinder...that should be ok?!

worked good for me

blackdoutxj said:
iwas gonna use a 4 1/2" angle grinder...that should be ok?!

I did this mod and angle grinder would pretty much be at the bottom of my list of choices - generates a lot of heat, difficult to control....

I used a jig saw with a fine tooth bit. I did remove the hood to make it easier to work on - yes, removing the hood is a PITA, but I figured it would have taken longer and been a greater PITA leaving it on.

I like that write up with the air nibbler - makes me want to get one next time I am at Princess Auto. I have a princess auto air shear but it wasn't suitable for this task - but I will be cutting my fenders with it tonight! GULP!

Remove the hood and use a jigsaw with a fine metal blade. Cover the area to be cut in masking tape and draw out your outlines on it. Cut holes in the corners with a drill and a large bit (I used a uni bit) so you have a nice radius on them.

Drill, cut, test fit, cut, test fit, put in place. Fasten with your choice of fastener, done.

Don't have to use the jig saw....I cut mine up with a 4 1/2 in angle grinder, with a cutting wheel. Trimmed the hole up with a grinding wheel, and it worked like a champ! (except for that big hole in my knuckle, but that's the result of a quick dumbass attack....)

Cut the holes small, you can always trim to make them bigger......

I love my vents...the only thing I woulda/shoulda done differently was mount them farther towards the front of the hood. I placed mine about 1.5 inch from the back of the hood, but then I had to cut into the rear hood cross-member......

Oh, and take off the hood. It's sooo much easier to cut when you don't have to worry about anything important underneath......With 2 ppl, it's a cinch to remove/reinstall the hood. and FYI....if you drop and and it latches, without the hood cables installed?? you can either trigger the release from underneath with a pair of vise-grips, or pull the headlight buckets out to remove the latches.....don't ask how I know

Back