• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Odometer HELP !!

Pharaoh XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just saw an ad of a 98 XJ AW4 with only 12,000 Km or 7500 miles, is there a way to know if this is the true milage cause here almost everybody plays with their odo,
My question is does the ECU store the actual milage or is there anyway to know ?
I m going to take a look today any ideas what to look for, the owner said that he drove it 1 month every year ?

the odo should be digital, and therefore the mileage is stored in 2 modules. one stores the actual mileage, the second is the PCM.

the PCM does not store actual mileage, but approx a 100 mile "window" that the other module (that stores actual mileage) needs to be within, otherwise it will set a check engine light.

When I got my 97', I changed the dash panel from the dummy lights to the full dash. I got the full dash from the junkyard. IT was plug and play. Presto I went from 111K to 74K on the odometer.

- Vegard

I can second Vegard's post. When I swapped the full gauge cluster from a TJ into my 98, the mileage changed and there were no check engine lights. I would be on the lookout for other signs of mileage if you think the seller's not trustworthy.

Robert

not everyone screws with their odo.

did you buy it from someone who was savvy with car stuff? then there would be an inkling of worry. if not, it hasn't been changed.

I saw it yesterday It is an IMMACULATE 98 with 7k miles 4L np242 AW4 8.25(tracLOK) & I can get for a fair price the only problem is with the color, the guy is from Saudi Arabia and he picked the gayest ever color on a jeep I even cant understand why jeep offered this color
DSC00836.jpg

DSC00837.jpg

DSC00838.jpg

DSC00839.jpg

where are you from that he'd have that kind of liscense plate? or is that just a "fake"?

Looks good to me. I may be in Cairo, Egypt soon. :wave1:

Carfax probably doesn't work to well outside the US.

Paint jobs are cheap here, don't know about Egypt. Might want to consider that as an option if the price is right.

Best way to tell is by the amount of material left on the brake pedal. If it looks like it has been used a bunch then its over the 7500 If it looks new then you should be ok :)

I'm looking at a 99 XJ Limited. The only problem is that is from Canada so the ODO is in KM. Is there a way to change the digital ODO readout from KM to Miles?

1985xjlaredo said:
Best way to tell is by the amount of material left on the brake pedal. If it looks like it has been used a bunch then its over the 7500 If it looks new then you should be ok :)

From the picture, it looks pretty new.

Man, if that thing really is for real, thats a heck of a find! :shocked:

Back