• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering box adjustment

yes there is a nut on the top of the steering box to tighten and loosen the steering. if memory serves me correct, i think you have to take out the electric fan, and maybe move the power steering pump a little.

Be very careful how you do this, and make sure it's really where the play is. It can be done, but properly you're supposed to do that together with adjusting the preload on the input shaft as well, which is more difficult. Make sure your play is not coming from a bad pitman bearing (the one on the bottom, output shaft), because no adjustment will correct that. If you do identify play as coming from the sector gear, it can help, but don't overdo it.

If you do adjust at the nut, do not make it too tight, and don't necessarily try to eliminate the little click you feel when you wiggle the steering with the engine off. Some of that play will disappear when the fluid is circulating. Whatever you do, make sure you adjust it ONLY in straight-ahead position. It's tighter at that position. If you adjust it tight in any other position it could bind on center, and....like...kill you.

Twice now,steering box adjustments have cost me two trips to the parts store,some things are better left untouched. If you don't properly adjust them they go sour in a hurry!!

be VERY careful-- the box may function when you adjust it, but as it heats up from use, the gear can bind. If you choose to adjust, make SURE it is functioning even hot before you even thing of venturing out into traffic:scared:

--Shorty

alright now im afraid to mess with it, its gotten much worse over the last two months and as of right now i probably have about 4 inches of play left to right.

alright i found the problem, i installed one of ajsoffroad bumpers about two months ago and and i guess i should have used lock tite on the steering box bolts because two of them were loose. well lock tite is much cheaper than a new box so that worked out pretty well.
thanks for the help

No one likes a loose box, Mine is only marginally loose. 1-3/4" play

The best thing you can do is look underneath as someone turns the steering wheel. I thought I had a steering box problem, but there was no problem with the box. The play in the steering was due to a worn track bar mount at the axle end. The hole had become elongated, plus the track bar that came with my Rock Krawler lift really needed a larger bolt than the standard 12mm. I welded a plate over the elongated hole and drilled it out to accept a 7/16 inch bolt. The slop in the steering disappeared. I was told by my local 4x4 shop that this is a common problem on vehicles that are used off road to any extent.

Back