• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

huge prob

rocklandxjer

NAXJA Forum User
so i ripped up my carpets and found tons of rust holes (note my location)

i searched and no one really explained how to clean the rust and areas around it

i just wanted someone to point me in a direction then it can be deleted if desired.
what tools are needed for propper prep
what paint (rust-o-leum or krylon or what)
Primer?
what kind of material should i use to cover the holes, should i wire brush the bottom too, i dont have a garage lift, so that might be difficult...

just need some help cause i want ol' Red to last a while.

I am kinda half way though redoing my floors so hopefully I can give you a few pointers. It all depends how bad it is really... Personally I cut out the entire front (and will be moving onto the rear soon enough) portion of my floor on the passenger side, then bent and welded in new steel sheet(s). I made the mistake of getting 13 gague (or however you spell that word) steel, thinking a thicker steel would be good for the front half. yes, it will be good, but it was a pain to bend. If you go the route of redoing the floors, get around 18 gague. Then cut and bend it to fit the holes, just tack weld around it until it is welded in completely. Then throw some tacks along the unibody if the hole is above it. Just make sure to have clean cuts around it.

As far as tools, I used a grinder and cut off wheel to get the floor out, adn the same tools as well as a hammer, cinder blocks, my foot, and anything else I could find around to bend the steel, then, the welder, thats about it. Then paint the new steel to prevent rusting (or even better throw some herculiner or something on it, esp on the bottom, but thats a given) I would prime it.

Jus make sure if you are welding in floor panals to have clean surfaces around the area your working. I had to replace my entire passenger side floor more or less, so I had to go the route of welding, but there may be an easier choice for you if you only have small holes. But if they look small, be prepared incase they keep getting bigger as you try and clean them out... I didnt think my floor was as bad as it was... then I got to work, and found lots more, so check before you get the materials incase you will need more than you initially expect

www.por15.com
The cheep and easy...
#1 Wire wheel off loose scaley rust
#2 Apply por15 following directions
#3 for large holes use fiberglass mats and resine to seal
#4 Hurculine
One day of fun solid floors.

WickedWild said:
www.por15.com
The cheep and easy...
#1 Wire wheel off loose scaley rust
#2 Apply por15 following directions
#3 for large holes use fiberglass mats and resine to seal
#4 Hurculine
One day of fun solid floors.

X2.
I have done this on numerouse cars and trucks. You can use your choice of rust stopers (#2) and I usually use cloth or mat over the entire section that has much rust. Very cheap, and easy. I have always layed the carpet back in, but Hurculine is an alternative.
Michael

You could also lay down a thin layer of herculiner and then lay the carpet back down, a bit more protection incase you tend to get the carpet wet or you live somewhere that it may get wet regularly (or tend to leave hte windows down a little too often... during rain storms... or leave the doors off... in the rain... or through big puddles... ::sigh::)

Back