• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jackpot??? (Big Pic)

kd5dwy

NAXJA Forum User
I found a new junkyard today (at least new to me) that had about nine XJs in it. One was about an '87 limited that I pulled the gauge cluster from. I looked at the rear brake drum and thought it was a little deeper than the one on my Dana 35, but wasn't sure. I jacked the thing up and I think this is a Dana 44! Flat sides on the cover, asymmetrical cover, square fill/inspection plug, point offset to the left on the bottom... If this truly is a 44, is $200 (that's with me pulling it) reasonable with that big dent in the cover? Thanks!

dsc_0105_1.JPG

it looks like a 44 to me, but thats not a clear pic. dent on the cover doesnt really matter you'll want to tear it down and re-bearing & re-seal it since its been sitting in a yard anyway. 200 is average price, not a good deal, not a rip off. mega score is finding one at a pick-a-part or ecology yard on 1/2 off day, if there are any around you. if not, go for it!

:peace:

I'd give him $120 for it max with the dent. tell him you have no way of knowing the integrity of the carrier anymore, even through a short visual inspection.

also, it's been buried into the ground a bit...so it stands to say you could tell him it needs all new brakes and probably bearings and seals on the axleshafts. none of that second part is necessarily true, but you can just say, hey, it's gotta be worth the risk...and $120 is.

but it's worth every bit of $200 if it's got good gearing in it.

on the lefthand side there you can clearly see the ID plate for the gearing etc. look at it, on the "bottom" lefthand side if you were looking at it sideways, it will tell you the gear. a.k.a. if it's 3.07 it will say 3 then space and 07. you want at least 3.73's if you're using the rig for wheeling, but unless you intend to regear the front to match right away, make sure it's matching to the front gears in your truck right now. 4wd will blow t-case with mis-matched gears.

I found mine for $200 and that was a steal. Atleast where Im from I looked over a year for one. The cheapest I could find one was like 450 bucks. Check out Ebay they sell for 400-500 buck all the time.

The key is not to tell the cashier that it's a Jeep axle. Tell them it's off a Chrysler station wagon. Around here, that'll save you about $50.

Well, this is a 4WD shop, so the guys know a thing or two about axles. I think I'm going to go for it - I'm getting the crew together to help me yank it on Tuesday.

I also realized I forgot to grab the senders for the new gauge cluster I swapped in, so I get that too. If the gearing isn't 3.55 I may grab the front axle as well. Clean them both up and swap them in at the same time.

I think I need to make a list of stuff to pull between now and Tuesday...

That doesnt look like trail damage so it was probably dented at the yard but non the less if the dent is deep enough it may have chipped a tooth, in which case you may need gears. You could use that excuse to get the price down?

Found a XJ waggy in a Pull-A-Part in Louisville on fri with a d44. 65 bucks if anybody is interested.

mcnamaag said:
Found a XJ waggy in a Pull-A-Part in Louisville on fri with a d44. 65 bucks if anybody is interested.

how's the grille? I have that grille on my 89 comanche..love it but I'd like to have a spare...

jeepcomj said:
how's the grille? I have that grille on my 89 comanche..love it but I'd like to have a spare...

I remember thinking the grille was in good shape. I'll double-check when I'm there tomorrow. I can also get a price if you'd like.

cygnus58 said:
I'm stupid, what's the benefit of a '44? What are the odds that my '88 XJ has one?
strength. all of the stock axles are fine for stock tires... but, once you move up to bigger tires and/or lockers, the axle shafts have a nasty habit of going "bang!" and leaving you stranded. the D35 is a lousy axle to use with a locker or big (33+") tires. the Chrysler 8.25" is more favorable (especially in the late years), but the Dana 44 is nice and strong. look around, there are some posts that go into this in detail (check out the FAQ section)

jeepcomj said:

Its pretty much complete as of yesterday. It is a complete Jeep

:doh: Damn! I think I just gave up my last hot spot huh.

alexer03 said:
if you have the factory tow package you have a 44

not necessarily true. I've seen xj's with factory tow and dana 35's or chrysler 8.25's...

mcnamaag said:
Its pretty much complete as of yesterday. It is a complete Jeep

:doh: Damn! I think I just gave up my last hot spot huh.

kk

pm me and lets see what we can do

Back