• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric fans worth it?

I wouldn't buy a fan that doesn't list the cfms and only says "low amp" but doesn't actually list the amps it draws. That's just me though, I'm sure someone on here has used that fan and can give you some feedback on it.

If you haven't already bought a new radiator, replaced the water pump, hoses, got a good thermostat (like a 195 degree mr. gasket - summit sells them) and flushed all the crap out of the block while the pump & t-stat are off then putting the electric fans on is just like painting over rust. Oh, don't forget the water wetter or purple ice-whatever. If you want replace the stock fan coupling as well.

It's a matter of getting the heat into the water, the hot water out of the block and into the radiator and then dissapating the heat. The fans only help that last part when you're going too slow for the speed of the vehicle to move air over the radiator. The stock fan pulls plenty and if you don't have the stock aux electric fan get one of those from a junk yard and you'll have more slow-speed air moving capability than the ebay setup.

Sounds good, but $50 S+H. That's a bunch of horse hockey. Seems to me that the stock mechanical fan pulls more than the 3300 cfm that the 3 electric fans pull. 1100 cfm is not a large fan, check around and see how much they cost. I'll bet you can find them for less than &60 each. The controller is only worth $20 or so.

Fred

They claim that these are 3300cfm. I was just thinking of going this route for gas mileage and assurance that I could turn them on when I wanted to also. I shall look into the Taurus fan thank you.

this isnt a bad set up but those fans are crap. 1100 CFMS? come on... for a total of 3300? One stock taurus fan does 2500 low anf 4500 high. If you have the time, you can engineer something like this your self for about $100 using 2 taurus fans and get a whooping 9000 CFMs, but make sure your wiring is thick and that you have at least a 117 alt, better to get the 132 alt from a ZJ.

Well if any one reads this, I would like to say they are pretty rude when it comes to questions.... check out this convo between the seller of that tripple fan set up and myself:

me said:
Is there any way you would be able to sell me this set up minus the fans? Those fans are tiny and dont put out enough CFM's, I would add my own. So everything minus the fan, or menay if you can get it up for 2 16" fans that would be better. Thank You
JEEP CHEROKEE XJ ELECTRIC COOLING FAN KIT ADD MPG & HP said:
this fan kit has been tried and tested on many cherokees including a sbc powered rock crawler,they are big enough and they put out more cfm then needed for a cherokee,5 years installing and putting together fan kits from our 9 bay performance and custom shop and your going to tell us this kit is no good,sorry but you should either stick with your factory setup or buy from someone else because one thing we do not like is a know it all that has no testing or idea about our fan kits and is trying to tell us that are kits do not work.further more two 16 inch fans would be 34 inches in length by 16.5 high,and the cherokee radiator is 30.5 inch wide by 10.5 high,yea i can see how that would fit well,great idea smart guy
document.write(''+hidelink+'');

God I hate being seen as a drama king.

Wow, sounds like Mr. seller is just a tad bit insecure! The fact that he had to insult your comment that badly; damn, must mean he has to try and make others feel stupid to make himself feel better.

I've come across this in searches on eBay, and was always turned away because of the price. BUT, I have to admit that 3300 cfm would be PLENTY for a stock engine. I've seen XJs run perfectly fine with the clutch fan replaced with another XJ aux electric fan that cool perfectly, you don't need a billion CFM in order to have a functional system. Hell, my XJ can sit and idle with the electric fan only, no clutch, with a/c on and not overheat, so it's a bit odd the seller would call the stock XJ electric fan "worthless".

pauldo39 said:
Wow, sounds like Mr. seller is just a tad bit insecure! The fact that he had to insult your comment that badly; damn, must mean he has to try and make others feel stupid to make himself feel better.

I've come across this in searches on eBay, and was always turned away because of the price. BUT, I have to admit that 3300 cfm would be PLENTY for a stock engine. I've seen XJs run perfectly fine with the clutch fan replaced with another XJ aux electric fan that cool perfectly, you don't need a billion CFM in order to have a functional system. Hell, my XJ can sit and idle with the electric fan only, no clutch, with a/c on and not overheat, so it's a bit odd the seller would call the stock XJ electric fan "worthless".

In what ambient temperature?
In South Florida my XJ would go into meltdown in 30 minutes with just the OEM electric fan. Oh, I forget;.....In the winter up north, I block half my radiator just so I can have a good heat going in the cabin. I have a two core OEM radiator, OEM 195* thermostat, dual electric fans totalling 4,000 CFM and a thermostat switch that turn the fans on at about 215* at the engine or 185* at the outlet from the radiator. I tried a single OEM electric fan and the XJ temperature rise was so rapid it would be suiside trying to take it out of the driveway.

techno1154 said:
In what ambient temperature?
In South Florida my XJ would go into meltdown in 30 minutes with just the OEM electric fan. Oh, I forget;.....In the winter up north, I block half my radiator just so I can have a good heat going in the cabin. I have a two core OEM radiator, OEM 195* thermostat, dual electric fans totalling 4,000 CFM and a thermostat switch that turn the fans on at about 215* at the engine or 185* at the outlet from the radiator. I tried a single OEM electric fan and the XJ temperature rise was so rapid it would be suiside trying to take it out of the driveway.

90 degrees. I have a CSF 3 row radiator, newer water pump, hoses, etc, OEM tstat. My temp was fine with the a/c on with just the aux fan, without a clutch. I'm not saying I recommend this, but just saying there is no way the mechanical fan puts out 3300cfm, so those 3 fans would do the trick (not defending the seller for being a prick about it though)

pauldo39 said:
(not defending the seller for being a prick about it though)
ok, let me defend his right to be a prick, you messaged him asking a heated question, calling his fans junk.

big deal, dont buy from him

welcome to the internet
way to post about it on the internet

I converted to dual electric fans 3-4 years ago. The manufacturer of my fans quotes 4000 CFM. I honestly think the ebay package would be to borderline for a modified Jeep. Not a modified engine, but the Jeep itself. I have a winch that obstructs airflow. A large transmission cooler, a set of driving lights and a bumper crossbar that all get in the way of the stock airflow.

My Jeep weighs 5K pounds and has larger tires with more rolling resistance. I have the CSF radiator and Flowkooler water pump and hood vents. When towing a 2K trailer in Virginia/West Virginia/Kentucky there my engine temperature was 2-4 degrees warmer than when towing through a flat state Illinois and Indiana. When towing in my home state it stays in its normal 207-210 range.

So if I bought a replacment fan setup, I would want to exceed the factory capacity of the mechanical fan and efan. For my own tastes that would be 3800 CFM or more.

And yeah that ebay seller was being a dick. I can only imagine if you bought the product and had troubles with running too hot that you would hear the same line of I have installed XXX for so many years, blah, blah, blah. I would pass on his product as it is over-priced and underpowered for my uses.

xcm said:
ok, let me defend his right to be a prick, you messaged him asking a heated question, calling his fans junk.

welcome to the internet

Uh wow, yeah. That was an intelligent comment. Pretty sure the reason Selarap posted his response is because a person on this thread asked whether or not that setup from ebay would be a good idea. Selarap took it upon himself to go on ebay, ask the seller a question, and whether or not you want to call it heated is your call. The seller responded like a moron:

"further more two 16 inch fans would be 34 inches in length by 16.5 high,and the cherokee radiator is 30.5 inch wide by 10.5 high,yea i can see how that would fit well,great idea smart guy".

So by POSTING this, anyone considering this setup is aware of the low level they would be buying from, which is helpful for someone who genuinely wants to know.

But I forgot, obviously we are all newbies to the internet and are shocked by what goes on and what is said.

Wow I guess I have my answer. lol I appreciatte everyones opinion i think I may look more to the Taurus fan setup after this lol. :read:

pauldo39 said:
Uh wow, yeah. That was an intelligent comment. Pretty sure the reason Selarap posted his response is because a person on this thread asked whether or not that setup from ebay would be a good idea. Selarap took it upon himself to go on ebay, ask the seller a question, and whether or not you want to call it heated is your call. The seller responded like a moron:

"further more two 16 inch fans would be 34 inches in length by 16.5 high,and the cherokee radiator is 30.5 inch wide by 10.5 high,yea i can see how that would fit well,great idea smart guy".

So by POSTING this, anyone considering this setup is aware of the low level they would be buying from, which is helpful for someone who genuinely wants to know.

But I forgot, obviously we are all newbies to the internet and are shocked by what goes on and what is said.

Thanks pauldo39, I asked the seller that question since I wanted to know if he could do me a custom set up, not to bash his product. I just thought that the 3300 cfm from all 3 fans wasnt enough, and when he spat back at me as he did, I turned around to let EVERYONE know what kind of vendor they would be dealing with. Imagine the customer service this guy would poop on you with... The taurus fan set up is way better.

xcm said:

welcome to the internet

And as for you XCM, grow up. Are you saying that if we know a Vendor is an ass that it should not be known to others? That it would be a good idea to buy from him since he gets so ill tempered after a very simple question? That would be great customer service and support in the long run, right? No. This is a community web site where we are here to help others out. Not only are you being a smartass, you're not helping us out or doing anything benificial on this post. If you dont have anything good to say, then dont say anything at all.

:nono: Well I am in Yuma and it averages 110 plus degrees. I have the stock clutch fan and the stock electric fan and i have never had a coolong issue to date and that is with a 4.7 ltr stroker motor that I torture in the desert. The only thing ihad to do was replace the coolant with a more watered down version add some water wetter and change my fan coupling on the clutch fan and now it always stays cool even idling for 1 hours on end. I was thinking of changing to the flexalite dual elec fan set up cause i cross the rivers here in yuma alot but it was not worth the 200 plus dollars for it and it would not benefit me enough to justify doing it. i hope that helps you!!:smoker:

Back