• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slight twist to the rear chop...

ZacSquatch

NAXJA Forum User
I have been entertaining the idea of chopping the rear, as per many others... BUT... since it is a 99, with metal rear hatch... welding the hatch back to the body to enclose the cab.

81541.jpg

how would this hold up structurely you think?

I dont know how well it would hold up,
but it looks great!
i would imagine how well it held is up to the person doing the work and how its done

my buddy chopped his xj like that, plated the framerail with 1/8" and no issues.

for what its worth

ZacSquatch said:
I have been entertaining the idea of chopping the rear, as per many others... BUT... since it is a 99, with metal rear hatch... welding the hatch back to the body to enclose the cab.

81541.jpg

how would this hold up structurely you think?

That looks great, what are the benifits (beside great looks)? To me, I would rather keep the stuff dry in the back. Cool, though.

My only suggestion would be to find a good rearend of a wrecked 99 and add a little length to the rear end past the wheel well, to give it almost a (Nissan Frontier)-ish/Regular Truck-ish look. The back end doesnt look like there is much/enough room in the bed for much more than that spare tire. But I've always loved the look of a chopped XJ.

Just my two cents...

I like it. It might look better on a 2 door.

...I like it, but I'd also extend the bed a bit...and I'd use the top part and rear upper corners of a comanche bed for your bedrails up top...that would also close in above the tail lights.

as for the rear hatch...well, I'd chop the back of a cab off of a comanche and weld that in there with a sliding rear window.

88xjlover said:
That looks great, what are the benifits (beside great looks)? To me, I would rather keep the stuff dry in the back. Cool, though.

I did mine for a few reasons:

- to stop crunching the rear glass/tailgate on trees and rocks
- because the rear glass and tailgate were crunched
- because i wanted an open area to throw stuff
- because i wanted to do a MJ/XJ combination in a way I haven't seen done

I also had no interest at all in trying to close the passenger compartment up again. XJ cabs are small enough as it is.

I think I wanna do that to mine now! the things I would do different are:
2-door body
allow for the rear hatch to still come up.
put a tail gate on from an extra hatch

I just can't figure out what I'd tell the insurance company if anything ever happened--"I don't know. I guess it all just fell off." I'm only kind of kidding. Mine's almost paid off, and I've seriously considered this (mine's my D.D.). I simply can't wrap my brain around what I would think would be huge insurance hurdles.

I know the whole looks issue.. I'm simply asking will it be structuraly sound per say

???

If you remove structure, you must replace structure.

You may choose your method of replacing, cage, plating, etc.

I would recommend you cage it.

JMHO

Rev

i definatly think some reinforcing would be a must but man, it looks good!

Back