• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I have electrical power but no start

Renegade

NAXJA Forum User
Like the title says i have battery power when i turn the key but when i attempt to start the engine, the starter will not crank the engine. Starter, battery, battery cables, and cps are not that old. Also, this only happens when the jeep has sat out in the heat for long periods of time. I have done weeks of searching but all connections look good... possibly something wrong with ignition switch..... thanks in advance.

96' classic 2 inch BB 4.0 AX-15, NP231

Yes, the starter is fairly new and i tested it... (making sure i touched the proper connecters on the starter)

in an off thought... is your vehicle an automatic, or manual trans?

an automatic is designed to only start in park, or nuetral... that is if the if the switch on the trans is working properly.
if your vehicle is an automatic, try this...
while applying the brake, turn your key to crank position (nothing happens, right?), now while holding it in crank position, continue to hold the brake, and wiggle your trans select lever back and forth through PARK, reverse, NUETRAL... did you hear the starter kick at all? if so, you may have a defective Nuetral safety switch, or a problem with proper adjustment (not likely if nothing's been worked on in that area)

if your vehicle is a manual... well, that's a different story.

surely, an ignition switch can be problematic, and hard to diagnose when intermittant.

if there's a multimeter handy, a voltage drop could be performed between the key components involved.

also... if your vehicle has an alarm, with starter disable feature, you might want to look at the voltage drop across the relay, I've seen them use substandard guage wiring in this area on some installs, and problems won't show up until things get hot.

thanks for the help guys. Yeah i will look at the ignition switch assembly and test with voltmeter, i guess ill also check all grounds and such.... its just weird how it only happens when the car has been sitting out in the heat....

Back