• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel Bearing?

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
I have a 98 XJ with a 8.25 in the rear that for all I know have the original wheel bearings. I had a shimmy up front, which I found was caused by a bad track bar bushing. Fixed, no big deal, all is well. Still a slight vibe at 50-60 mph though coming from the rear.

In searching for the problem, I noticed that my rear axle may need new wheel bearings. I jacked up the rear end, and I can push the wheel in and out slightly. No play in the wheel, it's the whole axle shaft moving in and out. Im not sure, but this may be normal for the axle. It also has slight play up and down when lifting by the lugs. This must be the wheel bearing, Im assuming there should be no verticle movement.

So the 2 questions are, does this sound like a correct diagnosis and is it something I can do alone in the driveway with common hand tools?:repair:

Thanks.

I finally got enough search words right to have a general idea of how to do the job. I know Ill need a bearing puller, not lucky enough for them to come out easliy. Anything else? Ill be replacing both sides, one seal and one bearing per axle shaft, correct?

This is of course hinging on if anyone agrees that the shaft should have no up and down movement...

A couple thousands in and out play sounds about normal for the axle shafts. when hunting vibs I would start with the easy first, if you havent done this stuff already. I would start by marking the rear drive shaft at the rear yoke, remove the drive shaft and check all the u-joints by hand making sure they all spin free with "NO" binding and repair if needed. Reinstall the rear drive shaft 180* of what it was removed and then test drive to see if there is any improvments. I woud try this if you havent already before I tore the rear axle down.

Im more worried about the up-down movement on the axle shafts. They move enough that I can push with my foot and get things to clank.

98XJSport said:
Im more worried about the up-down movement on the axle shafts. They move enough that I can push with my foot and get things to clank.

I would think that if you had that much up and down play, the bearings would be so loud when driven that it would be a no brainer.

Thats the wierd part, and why I haven't looked into replacing them before this, the most noise I ever get when it's vibrating sounds something like a badly worn wheel, kind of an off balance wobble sound. Usually wheel bearings scream, etc.

Id compare it to another 8.25 if it's not the same tear the axle down.

I may just do the rear u-joints first anyways, cheap enough and I can do it out in the parking lot. Plus they have 70k+ on them, before and after lift.

I figure that the in-out play should probably be there, but up and down or side to side? Maybe, I don't have anything to compare it to.

For the bearing to go, the seal must be shot. Is it leaking gear oil, or have heavy grease on the backside?

I just did the rear wheel bearings, and seals on my WJ. Once I got the axles out, NAPA can turn them around in a day. I also had to punch the axle housing and use sleeve retainer because the races were spinning in the housing.

Nope, no leaking. Well theres enough doubt to make me try the rear driveshaft u-joints first, and move on from there.

Back