• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

exhaust question

stxcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
want more noise not happy w/ the low sound the xj puts out.

if i go w/ a catback exhaust will it have to be welded on or is the xj a bolt on exhaust. some cars are some arent just curious before i get myself into finding a welder

Depends. If you still want the classic muffler, look long and hard at Magnaflow. If you want a cherry bomb that's a little more mild than the rest, but still sounds plenty aggresive, check out Flowtech's Redhots. I generally order mine from Summit as I can never find them in town here.

well i got some insite here for ya buddy. the muffler and tailpipe section of my XJ fell of when on the trail so i just ripped it off and ran just a cat. as a temp. fix until i decided on my exhaust, i ran a 90degree angle dump off the cat. it was loud and the fumes stayed under the truck and got into the cab when sitting still. so i went on Summit and ordered their Magnaflow catback system for my 94 4.0 auto. i put it in last night and it is alot quieter than with just a cat. it does sound alot better than the stock system, and if you are looking for a little more rumble i think you should go with a flowmaster system. they would be a little louder i would guess. but i should add that i did cut off the cat. and left the little bit of pipe that the cat slid over just behind the hanger thats by the tranny crossmember. i went to local pepboys store and picked up a piece of 2 1/4" X 30" pipe. that is to go where the cat was. i had to shorten the extra pipe just a little but everything slid together and hung and bolted so easily. i thought something had to be wrong if it went together that easily. but driving it to and from work today, it sounds good and nothing is hitting anywhere and i am very pleased with how it turned out.
:cheers:

My cat self-gutted itself and clogged my stock muffler. I also ran with just the cat for a while, but I used a 90 degree bend and a turndown to get the fumes out from under the Jeep. This was fine for on-road, but hung too low to go offroad with. It was also getting on my nerves being so loud. I went to Autozone and picked up a Cherry Bomb Turbo muffler. I connected that to the cat, and made an extension pipe to connect the stock tailpipe section since the new muffler was shorter than stock. It has a nice quiet performance sound to it now.

Rusty's system can't be beat for the price. Or just have some pipe bent.

dynomax cat back is 100 at asummit with a 50 dollar summit bucks offer too
i have a dynomax cat back on my neon and it sounds great....i like it alot

flowmaster 40 series sounds super sexy too

lancey3 said:
Rusty's system can't be beat for the price. Or just have some pipe bent.

I'll 2nd the Rusty's system. I'm running his set up with a Delta 40 and absolutely love it. Still get the looks from people when I drive by, yet I can hold a conversation inside at a normal level.

The bolt on factor is a HUGE plus too :)

I'm running a magnaflow cat and flowmaster 2 chamber muffler with 2.5" pipe run out the back in the stock fashion. It is nice and rumbly without being too loud. I had a turndown just after the muffler before and it was much too loud.

Get yourself a Twister....you wont be disappointed with the sound or performance....

http://www.flopro.com/Twister.htm

or the price...got mine and had it welded up for a total of $65.

i have a sound clip of my 40 series, search my name

Back