• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

roof basket

stxcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
looking to buy a gutter mounted basket for the roof on my xj.

need to put a 32 bfg MT up there along w/ shovel and jack.

anyone know of anything that comes complete w/ all these mounts that mounts to the gutters not the oem rack??

would like something that is made good as well, no cheap crap please.

I had one of these on my 86. The basket was well made and strong. I did end up using 2 sets of gutter racks because of the weight I was putting up there. Even with the two sets of racks, basket and 20" extention, the total cost was only $293.90. That's a lot cheaper than most of the systems I have seen.

http://www.prolineracks.com/car-rack-special.html

stxcherokee said:
do they make baskets that don't require a rack, one that mounts directly to the rain gutters

Not that I am aware of but I'm sure someone makes one. Seach the web

Excellent choice. I've had my Mega Warrior for over 4 years and it has served me well. They could stand to improve on the pads that sit between the bars and the basket though. I would recommend getting the locks as well.

country_boy454 said:
http://www.zacataloffroad.com/

zacatal-rack-w-tireshoveland-hilift-jack-mountsRegular price: $239.99
Sale price: $195.00

They offer the rain gutter mounts together with the rack just for the jeep xj (cherokee).

Do you have this setup? From what I can see, it looks like a great deal.

No I do not currently have one but when I pay off my new tires and save a lil cash i will be ordering one for my XJ. I remember hearing about this rack from several people on nagca.com so I checked it out for my ZJ. Now I have a child on the way and can't afford to keep putting money into my DD ZJ so I purchased a 1996 XJ and lifted it 6.5".

PICT0008-1.jpg

1996 XJ 6.5" rusty's lift, 200 amp alt
34x10.50x15 tsl ltb's on order
31x10.50x15 hoosier d/ts on now
open hp 30 front
ls 8.25 rear

Last edited:
country_boy454 said:
http://www.zacataloffroad.com/

zacatal-rack-w-tireshoveland-hilift-jack-mountsRegular price: $239.99
Sale price: $195.00

They offer the rain gutter mounts together with the rack just for the jeep xj (cherokee).

Just an fyi - that rack is made from electrical conduit that can be purchased at home depot. The rack come in parts and you assemble it with conduit connectors.

that zacatal rack is really nice especially given the price! anyone have better close up pics of the tire mount?

stxcherokee said:
looking to buy a gutter mounted basket for the roof on my xj.

need to put a 32 bfg MT up there along w/ shovel and jack.

anyone know of anything that comes complete w/ all these mounts that mounts to the gutters not the oem rack??

would like something that is made good as well, no cheap crap please.

check out kevins , definately not cheap, his is loaed with all the extras from the get go, no nickle and dime (or should i say $20 and $50 ) you to death with mounts and tab charges. I like his design looks great, low, NOT MODULAR, as in designed to the size of the xj from the get go. Not looking silly with some 2/3 the size of the width of your roof modular rack.

He is allot like AJ at ajoffroadarmour (who can make you any rack you want also) that he makes all the stuff himself persoanlly, doesnt cut corners, doesnt sub it out. hes been around a good 5-6 years or more. Never heard any one say one bad thing or one bad review about the guy. http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/roof_rack.html

JCR has a top secrect rack, and they do custom orders to your specs. Call up jcr take a look at their rack and add or do whatever you want.

JCR guys are top notch cant go wrong with them either.
http://www.jcroffroad.com/customwork.html

Last edited:
spcustoms said:
hey I like that Kevins rack.. Have a pics? the ones on his website dont show too much

i currently just have a thule legs and cross bars replacing the stock ones. I have a garage sale thule legs that attach to the gutters also that i havent swapped over yet. Sorry i dont have a kevins rack. I just like his design, looks great, also if you compare to the mass producted ones loaded up his is a fair price. Surco,confer,etc all nickle and dime ya todeath i think he has a chart or did that showed how pricey the options extra tab mounts adapters etc can get.

I just recently was taught to weld and have acess to good quilty miller and lincon units so i am gonna take a stab at making my own, as well as a hitch style carrier like this for hunting and beach trips not for wheeling obviously

i521480sn01.jpg

Love my Surco! It has gutter mounts, light mounts, my 32" tire, hi-lift, and can have an axe/shovel.

Super affordable, not to heavy to add to the top weight.

I got a local buddy (NAXJA member) a great deal on a UPD-damaged Top Hat rack, looks pretty nice, although I haven't figured out a good way to mount a hilift or shovel yet. Got one for myself, too. :) it's laying in the driveway waiting for me to open it up and see how many parts are missing.

Back