• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flexplate

Bauerle

NAXJA Forum User
This is a first post for me...I am just curious if anyone knows anything about Flexplates. I have a 97 XJ. I had the engine replaced back in January and ever since then, the engine has been making a clicking noise from the bottom of the engine on the passenger side. I took it back to the garage that replaced the engine for me and they have been trying to fix the problem since. Along the way...they have come up with solutions to fix the problem that did not work. I have had my Jeep in the garage 6-7 times now and I am growing impatient and concerned with the competence of the mechanics.

Anyhow, recently they have determined that the problem is a cracked Flexplate. After reading other posts, it sounds like this is a real possiblity. My question is can the flexplate be damaged with an engine install or is the timing a coincidence?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If they slammed the engine against the torque coverter while re-installing the engine it could be possible to crack the flex plate i would guess. It may be that it was just fatiged from years of use and the new power from the motor was the final straw as well.

If it is a cracked flex plate they should be able to show you the crack. It would require looking up thorught the inspection plate from the bottom of the rig but if they think it is cracked hopefully they've identifyied it. If my rig had been in the shop that many times I'd want to know they new WTF they were doing.

jmop - Thanks for your help. I will have them point out the crack. They are quoting me $320 to fix the Flexplate. (They claim to be giving me a $250 discount) Do you need to drop the tranny to replace the plate?

Ive never heard of it in a jeep which isnt saying much really, but it was pretty common in 89 to 93 Dodge trucks with autos and the Cummins diesel. It happened to one of mine in fact, the center begins to break away from the rest, it started off with a grinding/vibrating feeling in the floorboards, on then you could pull the inspection cover and typically see metal shavings etc scattered inside.

Bauerle said:
jmop - Thanks for your help. I will have them point out the crack. They are quoting me $320 to fix the Flexplate. (They claim to be giving me a $250 discount) Do you need to drop the tranny to replace the plate?
Yeah, you have to drop the tranny or pull the motor. Its a lot of labor for a relitivly cheap part (I think a new one is only like $30 or something).

Bauerle said:

That's a very good price for replacing a flexplate. Take it and be happy, mine cost around $500 or so when I had it replaced.

Back