• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB Wiring

BLACK99XJCLASSIC

NAXJA Forum User
I have kind of a stupid question. I am going to buy a CB but don't know the process of wiring it. I am not good with wiring so I have to know what I am getting myself into. Where do they get the power (the battery of course), but how is it wired? Also any mounting points? thanks.

I took a peice of flat stock and drilled holes and mounted my CB above my rear view mirror between the visors. Drilled holes in the metal and screwed it in right where the plastic peice holds the visor in place.

ran power wire above headliner to the A pillar down to the fuse panel and wired it to come on only when the key was turned so it would go on and off when the jeep was on or off. Ran the antenna wire above the headliner to the passenger A pillar down all the trim to the back of the jeep where I had the antenna mounted.

If you have any questions post them, Ive hooked up my fair share of cbs

You could splice into the cigarret lighter pos/neg just make sure you use the supplied fuse between the splice and the CB.

Mounting points vary, In my trail rig I havethe radio between the visors and I do not have a overhead console.

On my 90' DD I have the CB which is a large radio(Uniden PC78) is just above my right knee on the lower dash panel.

My son has his mounted on his 00' on the pass side of the center console.

The power wiring is very simple - find a hole in the firewall that you can run the cable through, get it to the battery (making sure it won't get in the way of any moving parts), and hook red to positive and black to negative. The power cable that comes with the CB should already have in-line fuses, so make sure not to cut them off. Taking both power leads all the way to the battery (as opposed to hooking the ground to the frame of the vehicle) should provide some protection from electrical noise such as alternator whine. The battery acts as a filter.

Mounting the CB is really a matter of personal preference. Just find a spot that works for you and mount it up.

The antenna is the sticking point. Read posts for mounting ham radios on this board and you'll see what I mean.

xjtrailrider said:
You could splice into the cigarret lighter pos/neg just make sure you use the supplied fuse between the splice and the CB.

One change on this that I'd recommend since he has a '99: wire to the power outlet rather than the cigarette lighter. The lighter only works with the key in the 'run' position, but the power outlet is always on. Kinda useful if you want to use the radio without running the Jeep - just be sure to turn it off when you don't need it ;) I've got both my CB and GPS running this way and it's rather useful.

Use GOOGLE and the terms CB owners manual or the brand and model number of your CB. May owners manuals are available online. Most CB's install in a similar manner. Wiring the radio back wards (putting 12 volt + power into the ground wire) will most likely ruin the radio, use care with this or get some help. Cb antennas need to be checked for proper SWR after they have been installed.

www.firestik.com has a great tech section about antennas, SWR, and installation. The information applies to most other brands of CB antennas as well.

The side of the floor console or under the dash are two of the more common mounting locations.

Cigarette lighter and magnetic antenna!
That way you can remove it when ever also. Like if you ever come to Baltimore and don't want the cockroaches to steal it.

n69205416_32112237_4413.jpg

n69205416_32160843_4001.jpg

I put it to the right of the shifter in my MJ for the simple fact that I don't tune it while offroading, my spotter does if it's needed. I can still reach it easily, and I hold the mic in my shifting hand. the mic mount is to the left of the CB

CB antennas need to be properly tuned upon installation. don't permanently install them first time around...chances are you mounted them in the wrong place, and having them tuned will give you a proper reading. general best point is the exact center of the vehicle at it's highest point...so front/middle of the roof is about the best.

I made the mistake of buying dual whips because they were "cool". well, I had to bring it to just one, but it looked funny, so it has one functional one and one that had to be isolated via nylon bushings to keep the aesthetics. it's properly tuned after the fact. and I wired my CB through a relay that's hooked to the battery. that filters the noise, it's grounded right next to the battery at it's ground point, and the acc position suplies the relay with power.
n69205416_32112241_5513.jpg

same principals apply to truck body as suv body

Back