• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Different gears front & rear. Can I drive it in 2wd?

paulhead

I overtighten $#!t
NAXJA Member
Just put an 8.8 in my 90 XJ, NP242 TC, got stock 3.55's in the front and 4.10's in the 8.8 rear. Can I drive it as long as I don't put it in 4wd? Did a search to no avail.

X3 Ok for d/d, just don't use 4wd

filled the dif, gave it a once over then took it for a spin. Felt good. Hauled butt on the freeway, no vibes
icon10.gif
. Brakes feel a little soft, almost hitting bottom but I am able to lock them up after alot of presure. Don't notice a big difference between the 4.10's and 3.55's.

cdhowell said:
Pull your front shaft just to be safe.

x2 I remember reading on a forum somewhere about a guy who was in the same situation as you, and he got curious as to what would happen if he put it in 4. Took the teeth right off of the pinion.

WheelinJR said:
Did you change out to the ZJ prop valve for the disc brakes on the 8.8?
NO, left it as is. Would that cause me having to brake so hard to stop? I'm thinking air in the lines. It does sound like the rear is locking up before the front but it takes alot of effort to get it to lock, let alone it feeling like the pedal is bottoming out.

mjma said:
x2 I remember reading on a forum somewhere about a guy who was in the same situation as you, and he got curious as to what would happen if he put it in 4. Took the teeth right off of the pinion.
I'm not going to get curious.

When I put a 8.8 in place of the D-35 I went from drum to disk brakes. It kept feeling like I had to bleed them. The proportioning valve on your XJ is set up for drums. I replaced mine with a proportioning valve for a 03 Rubi(same part as the ZJ) witch has a disk/disk set up front and rear. Now it brakes like a champ. I had to go to the dealer to get the part. I'll try to find the reciept and get you a part# and price.

Last edited:
As long as the lever stays in 2wd, you should be fine. (as long as the tcase is functioning correctly)

You can get away with running different gears in the 4wd range in low traction situations, but high traction will = :explosion.

In loose mud you can run it all day.

On pavement or dry, grippy rock be prepared for big repair bills.

rule of thumb...
when running different ratios f/r the difference can be no greater than .07 for any wheeling, driving.

thanks for the info. the desert spots i goto often have patches of loose sand that WILL bog you down if you go to slow, and as how im gonna be 3.55->4.56 and still 3.55 up front...

so is it safe to use mismatched gears to pull you outta some real loose sand?
i do have a chase vehicle, so its either that or pull it out without a winch....

use 4x as a last resort, the friction coefficient should be minimal. slick mud, realyy loose sand and very little torque. try to crawl out, otherwise get the strap. better safe than sorry. i've learnt lessons like this a few times.

Back