• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valve cover gasket?

dyna

NAXJA Forum User
Whats the thought on V/C gasket R&R for an 87 4.0 ? Cork, a small bead of RTV or a rubber one which I was told was $58 at Autozone. Insane I thought for that , cork is a mixed bag due to cracking after drying out, the PO did a mess of a job with RTV and it still leaks pretty bad, Dosent surprise me after draning 90 wt out of the Transfer case today, should I just bite the bullet and buy a rubber one and glue it to the V/C so it stays put during the install?
Thanks

I went with the rubber one from vatozone, just in case I might need to remove the v/c sometime in the future. It's gotta be better than the RTV that the PO had on there.On the east coast it was only 43.00, so I'm guessin that things are really more costly out that way.

darjevon said:
Same rubber gasket is $4 from Rockauto.com.

Joe

It's the wrong part number to the picture.

Vatozone: VS50022C-1 -- $5.99
Rockauto: VS50022C1 -- $4.20

The good one:
Vatozone: VS50522T -- $38.99
Rockauto: VS50522T -- $33.79

You'd probably be better off going into Vatozone with the web printout of either price. Probably have better luck with the Autozone.com one, but doesn't hurt to try the Rockauto one.

Back