• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ticking sound and it is coming from down low in the engine

trekn13

NAXJA Forum User
I am hearing a light ticking sound down in the block, it is not a lifter,or a valve. What else could it be????? Would the oil pump make that sound if it was going??? What should the oil pressure be?

Mine does it too, and it hasn't blown up yet. Seriously, I wouldn't worry about. These 4.0l's are like tractor engines.... fuel slurping, emissions belching, noise making engines....but they sure are durable.

My owner's manual says the oil pressure should be approx. 60 psi at throttle, and 40 psi at warm idle. Honestly, I don't know of anyone's XJ that holds a consistent 40 at warm idle. Once warm, mine will drop to about 20-25 psi. On other boards, it seems most everyone elses does too. If your oil pressure gauge starts acting whacky (e.g. jumping around, pegging itself, etc.), it's probably the sending unit going bad. These units aren't the most accurate anyway, and I wouldn't totally rely on them (even when functioning properly) to always give me an accurate reading.

Last edited:
my 2001 has the same tic. Sometimes its a little louder than others but most of the time its not really loud enough to notice.

Mine is 100% from the back half of the oil pan area

My 99 had a sound like you were describing. The sound got quieter as the engine got warmer.

Replaced the manifold with a header and the sound went away. Looking at my old manifold it was starting to develop a hairline crack at the weld.

I too had the cracked exhaust manifold but also be aware of possible piston slap. I had a 91 that had piston slap. The noise would vary in volume and would quit the minute the engine was under acceleration or load.

Jeepm@n said:
I too had the cracked exhaust manifold but also be aware of possible piston slap. I had a 91 that had piston slap. The noise would vary in volume and would quit the minute the engine was under acceleration or load.

Yep, mine goes away under acceleration too. Even at idle, it's only intermittent. I don't know what year the OP's XJ is, but I do know Jeep redesigned the exhaust manifold for '00 and '01. They no longer used the 1-piece manifold, but rather a 2-piece. It was suppose to resolve the cracking issues with the pre-'00's. I had my '01's manifold(s) checked twice, no cracks. If the OP's XJ is a pre-'00, then the manifold may be the culprit.

My sound is not nearly load enough to hear while driving. I can hear it sometimes in the cab and then I crawled under to pin point it. I have not checked for any cracks in the manifold though.

I will have to check that out

it isn't always the manifold itself. Check the minfold bolts they can get sheered off I have seen it happen on many vehicles and on my dakota. What happens is the bolts get sheered off and then there is no wieghted or pressure being applied so you get the exhaust leak.

Back