• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Find this ECU for me, and I will give you $100

wizardPC

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1993 XJ with the Police Package and California Emissions. My engine computer is hosed, and I am having a helluva time finding a replacement. This is week 3 and no one can find one. It's chryco part number 56027552.

I have tried an engine computer out of a non-police, non-cali 93 xj and it will not start. Jeep/Chrysler engineers assure me that ONLY 56027552 will work. It bugs the crap out of me that there is probably a 10 cent resistor in a little black box that has made my jeep a paperweight.

We know it's the ECU. The jeep will start, but if you thwack the ECU with a screwdriver, the engine will cut off.

And now, let's clarify the rules a bit:
You must either have one in hand that works, or give me contact information for someone who does. "I think these guys have one" doesnt count. If you think they have one, call them and have them hold it in their hands.
If you buy it from a junkyard, GET A RECEIPT, otherwise I am going to assume that you spent the same $25 I did on a used ECU.
It must be part 56027552. 56027551 is not guaranteed to work, but if you find one let me know and we can talk about what we should do with it.
If you are going to a junkyard, email me before you leave to get my phone number at crashr at gmail dot com. That way if 3 or 4 of you go to different yards you dont all buy computers only to find out later that you were beaten by someone else. This rule is to help YOU out.

You will get your money after I install the new computer and I am able to drive it around with no problems. This means that if I get a dead one, you dont get the finder's fee, but depending on how much you you pay for it I will probably reimburse for the cost of the dead part. If you have ANY questions about these rules, email me before you go out looking. I also have people locally looking as well as someone who used to run the police fleet of a fairly large police force who still has contacts.

NAPA Auto Parts part # NEC XTP97552. It is an R&R of your ECM.

Or try www.autoecms.com they are both expensive.

Last edited:
You're kidding right? So you're basically saying that if someone finds one and buys it and then pays to have it shipped to you, that if it doesn't work, then maybe you might refund their money, or maybe not. I don't mind helping out one of my fellow jeepers but that sounds rediculous.

Have you tried cleaning the connector? I'm not sure how easy this is to open up and the board is likely potted, but it sounds like a bad solder joint or crack at the connector on the board.

You might also try grounding the case of the ECM to the chassis. I had a 93 ZJ and found out that all of the ground wires coming from the ECM culminated into a single ground wire that ran directly to the battery. That wire got munched and the Jeep would stall whenever I hit a bump. Of course after I towed it home three times it would fire right back up. Finally it stayed dead and I found it by tracing the grounds at the ECM.

I though the only difference in the police version was that grounding one of the pins would raised the idle with the tranny in park/neutral. The pinout was otherwise identical. I also thought the Calif version was just a different fuel tuning (ie it ran leaner and crappier). I suspect a calif, non-police version will work.

Last edited:
fspell220 said:
You're kidding right? So you're basically saying that if someone finds one and buys it and then pays to have it shipped to you, that if it doesn't work, then maybe you might refund their money, or maybe not. I don't mind helping out one of my fellow jeepers but that sounds rediculous.

I was thinking the same thing... :wow:

I've got to agree with Lawsoncl on this one, if it works until you bump it, it sounds like a loose connection, either a loose screw on a ground in the ECU or a loose solder joint. I'd check the accesable ground conections first, and the ECU wiring harness connector itself and ECU harness wires for that matter!!!! Especially if works part time until a physical jar to the ECU.

wizardPC said:
I have a 1993 XJ with the Police Package and California Emissions. My engine computer is hosed, and I am having a helluva time finding a replacement. This is week 3 and no one can find one. It's chryco part number 56027552.

I have tried an engine computer out of a non-police, non-cali 93 xj and it will not start. Jeep/Chrysler engineers assure me that ONLY 56027552 will work. It bugs the crap out of me that there is probably a 10 cent resistor in a little black box that has made my jeep a paperweight.

We know it's the ECU. The jeep will start, but if you thwack the ECU with a screwdriver, the engine will cut off.

And now, let's clarify the rules a bit:
You must either have one in hand that works, or give me contact information for someone who does. "I think these guys have one" doesnt count. If you think they have one, call them and have them hold it in their hands.
If you buy it from a junkyard, GET A RECEIPT, otherwise I am going to assume that you spent the same $25 I did on a used ECU.
It must be part 56027552. 56027551 is not guaranteed to work, but if you find one let me know and we can talk about what we should do with it.
If you are going to a junkyard, email me before you leave to get my phone number at crashr at gmail dot com. That way if 3 or 4 of you go to different yards you dont all buy computers only to find out later that you were beaten by someone else. This rule is to help YOU out.

You will get your money after I install the new computer and I am able to drive it around with no problems. This means that if I get a dead one, you dont get the finder's fee, but depending on how much you you pay for it I will probably reimburse for the cost of the dead part. If you have ANY questions about these rules, email me before you go out looking. I also have people locally looking as well as someone who used to run the police fleet of a fairly large police force who still has contacts.

Rockauto has it for 220 + a core charge of 70.
A-1 CARDONE Part # 797552I did a cross check... it's an EXACT REPLACEMENT for yours.

Peace, Joe.

Back