• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to this forum... prob a stupid question

atxchris1234

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 97 with about an 8'' lift, 35'' TSL's and about every bolt on you can get. The jeep is in great shape, minor dings here and there but nothing terrible. My buddy who has one with the TNT Longarm kit and 33bfg muds is ribbing me and calling it the "mall crawler".

Anyways, my qestion is... The truck feels really tall. It sits quite a bit taller than my buddies jeep and prior to purchasing this I thought his jeep was the biggest xj i'd ever seen. So with what I have mentioned, do you think an xj is too tall with an 8'' lift and 35's? I was thinking it might wheel better with 33's because of course the center of gravity would be lower.

Anyways, just killin time at work here, what do you think? I like it being this tall, but then again I haven't really wheeled it hard at all.

atxchris1234 said:
I just bought a 97 with about an 8'' lift, 35'' TSL's and about every bolt on you can get. The jeep is in great shape, minor dings here and there but nothing terrible. My buddy who has one with the TNT Longarm kit and 33bfg muds is ribbing me and calling it the "mall crawler".

Anyways, my qestion is... The truck feels really tall. It sits quite a bit taller than my buddies jeep and prior to purchasing this I thought his jeep was the biggest xj i'd ever seen. So with what I have mentioned, do you think an xj is too tall with an 8'' lift and 35's? I was thinking it might wheel better with 33's because of course the center of gravity would be lower.

Anyways, just killin time at work here, what do you think? I like it being this tall, but then again I haven't really wheeled it hard at all.

What does the lift consist of? Do you know what kind of lift it is? You could always lower it if you want. Take it down to maybe 5.5"??? I think going with 33's would be working against yourself. I want pics and specs :D

pics.... hmmm lets see, how do I post those again? Specs - He told me it's an RE 4.5'' Kit with drop brackets and shackles, longer springs, spacers and longer shocks. The shocks are whatever 4wparts sells, the guy I bought it from works there and I've known him since high school. My buddy with the 33's says it has a good steering setup and something callet a pittman arm.

Sorry, im new with all these terms... I know a lot about mustang engines, but little about suspension.

Oh and BTW it's open diff with chrys 8.25

I just upgraded to the 8 rustys kit. I may put the 6in coils in and go down, but havn't wheeled it enough yet to decide. But I have been way off camber and it still does good with 10 wide wheels, and 3.5 back spacing. Feels very stable at that width and 36 in tires.

normal_DSC02880.jpg

Well you could always take the shackles and spacers out and see if you like it better without them. Oh, those drop brackets you really don't need... so you should take them off and send them to me ASAP. :D

if you have 4.5 coils I am wondering how many spacers they have to get to 8 in. Maybe kinds scary suspension??? try to post some pics. But it would be easy to go back down to 4.5 and 33's if you take the shackle and spacers out.

edit: evanh beat me too it

And heres the list of stuff he sent me via e-mail
daystar for real bumper
4 piaa lights
confer roof rack w/ 6 light mounts, H/L jack mount, spare tire mount
bushwacker cut out fender flares
supernerf rocksliders
engine/trans skid plate
35" superswamper tires
xd assult 15x8" wheels
tinted windows
alarm system
piaa wiper blades
husky floor mats
cb radio
456 front and rear gears
transfer case correction kit, w/rear drive shaft
8" lift
terraflex high steer kuncle w/ custom draglink
flowmaster 2 chamber muffler
dynomax high flow cat
eclips door and rear speakers with 2 amps...radio was stolen...i still have
the factory.

KSXJ said:
transfer case correction kit, w/rear drive shaft???? pics please

SYE

That is a clean looking XJ.. just start driving/wheeling it. Let you driving style and needs dictate what if any mods you need to do. don't get caught up on what other tell you or what you think you need to do because you read about it.

dont have pics at the coils, maybe i can take some tonight and give you guys a virtual test drive or something. To be honest i sit in the thing and really don't kniow where to start. all I know is i like it and wanna play with it, but im afraid the thing is gonna flip over or im gonna break something.
It makes a clunky clank type sound when i turn the wheel at a standstill. My buddy says its the steering box needs to be tightened down no biggie... but I don't know.

And truthfully I don't think I know enough about the setup to have you guys help troubleshoot it for me. But anyways, from what you can see do you see any room for improvement or what I should start looking into?

BTW I picked it up for 7k with a new engine that has a 1 yr warranty on it and tires that have 95% treadlife. Think thats a decent deal?

looks like its well built :thumbup: good find. I was gonna say pleaase say it doesn't have 3.55's!!!:D

KSXJ said:
I just upgraded to the 8 rustys kit. I may put the 6in coils in and go down, but havn't wheeled it enough yet to decide. But I have been way off camber and it still does good with 10 wide wheels, and 3.5 back spacing. Feels very stable at that width and 36 in tires.
:dunno:

Last edited:
That is a really nice looking cherokee. I like it.

One question:
Isnt that a '96 or earlier body style?

Just wondering because you original post says its a '97.

Sweet XJ either way.

Brian

I run 35's with a tad less than 4 1/2" lift. So I went from 27's to 35's with 4 1/2" lift thats 8 inches so you could slap 42's on and call it good. Just kidding but seriously your mall crawler will flip off road if you are not carfull. I would lower it to 5" as your first mod and try to sell your too tall springs to the next knucklehead that listens to folks that tell him he needs that much lift to clear those tires. Be prepaired to trim your fenders a little to get your flex where you want it. Really a nice rig to start with. Have fun with it!

Back