• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bed liner for bumper

Rangerman28

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking at the JCR front winch bumper and ive been thinking about how to paint and i was wondering about the stone liner coating JCR offers to put on or just using like a truck bed liner like rhino lining has anyone used this type of liner on bumpers or rock rails? im just wondering how it holds up to getting a beating from rocks and trees or if it scratches then just peels off or something

and i have searched the forms and i didnt find anything about it

Scott

From what I have seen in pics and read around here, there are many people who rhino line their sliders, bumpers, roofs, whole jeeps. I guess if it gets scratched you can just slap some more on.

I have Herc-u-liner on my front bumper and it holds up really well. What you have to remember is that many of these products don't stick to bare metal all that well. You should get a good self etching primer and put a coat or two of that on then a few coats of black spray paint. Then scuff it up a little and put the bed liner on. I would recommend letting the bed liner cure for a few weeks and then spray a coat of semi-gloss black on there because that will make it easier to clean off, dirt really likes to stick in the herc-u-liner.

I'm starting to think of bedlining my whole jeep....

on bumpers and rails I only used liner on stepping surfaces. Anywhere else is a waste of effort as sliders and bumpers are meant to be pushed into and against rocks and you'll be constantly ripping it off.

My question would be will the Stone Liner touch up with Herc? Will the Herculiner bond to the surface properly?

After you get your bumpers from JCR clean them real good. Final wipe down with denatured alcohol. Then the spray on good high quality 3 M undercoating. Wait 24 hours then sprayed heavily with auto grade rustolium flat black. A flat black paint don't be afraid to coat them four or five times. The results are outstanding and you won't be disappointed. Nicks and scratches just disappear with a quick little spray of paint.

undercoat

Just my personal observations, YMMV!

I Herculinered my rear bumper and am not happy with it. Maybe being in Michigan with winter weather and salt, but it cracked on the top surface of the bumper and let moisture in. Then you get rust.

I'm buying a new winch bumper from Nate's 4X4 and will have it Line-X'ed. I expect the multipart, commercially applied stuff will hold up better.

If you could get Herculiner without the little rubber pieces I think it would work better. Water and salt puddle on the top in the little depressions.

I put Herculliner on my winch bumper, rockrails and, fender flares. It has held up well with trees and dirt but rocks will scrape it off. I took my time on the prep work and I'v had good luck so far in the winters.

I really prepared the bumper well for painting. I did not put any primer on it (can said no primer) so that might have made a big difference.

The place that's going to Line-X my front bumper is going to prime with POR 15 etching primer first.

Oh well, I need to take the bumper off to mount a gas tank skid as soon as I find one, anyway. I'll just have to sand blast it and do it right this time.

Boy, I hate learning everything the hard way!

Back