• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chry 8.25 factory gear ratios

Strictly.Offroad

NAXJA Forum User
hey all,

i just upgraded my d35 to the 8.25 but i have to drive it in 2wd all the time because i dont know it that ratios are the same. i took off the diff cover and the ring gear had 33 teeth and the pinion had 14. if my math was correct thats a 2.36:1 ratio. I didn't think that there was such a gear set up. was currious what or how to check it correctly.

Thanks for your help.

I think Most 8.25's have 3.55 in them if it came with a automatic trans.

If it's a manual (ax-5 or 15) then it's probably 3.07, automatic then 3.55 unless it's a factory HD towing package - can't remember that one, 4 cyl manual was 4.10. The 1997 factory service manual doesn't list 3.07 for the 8.25 but mine has the tag with 3.07 printed clearly.

there are a couple of choices when it comes to factory gearing in the 8.25,

6cyl/auto/3.55
6cyl/manual/3.07
4cyl/manual/4.10
4cy/auto/4.56 - never actually seen one, the 4cy auto, but rumored to have exsisted

now a couple of people believe that the 8.25 came with 3.73 for a 6cyl HD towing package, doesn't exsist. But I would love to have someobdy prove me wrong. I would love to see a from the factory 8.25 with 3.73s and a limited slip or open. Any takers?

Back