• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brakes locking up

89heepxj

NAXJA Forum User
in my 89 xj the front brakes seem to be locking up at low speed 0-10mph. i have searched around and havnt ancountered anyone that has had a similar problem. can anyone tell me if its just my brake(need to get new ones anyways) or is it something a little more seruise?

Do you mean that when you push the break peddle the fronts lock up fairly easily? If so it could be that your rear breaks are not working at all and your fronts are doing all of the work.

I've had a similar experience before. It only happens only so very rarely, that I haven't bothered to look into it. It's happened on the old rotors and pads, and again on new rotors and pads. No clue as to why, but it has happened, at low speeds just like you are describing. Never have looked at the back breaks yet...

I had a similar issue. Turned out the "hold-down cable" in the rear (just one side) was broken. Seems that the shoes were rubbing against the drum all the time, but when I touched the brakes, the wheel would lock up. Certainly sounded like a front end problem, but I left some stripes in the driveway one day.......

The emergency brake only controls rear wheels, put the truck in neutral and give it a tug and see if it holds steady on a steep incline.

The rear drum brakes also has a self adjuster that adjusts for wearing brakes. It sets when you brake in reverse. Go in reverse and slam the brakes

Remove your wheels and do a once over front and rear, be sure to check your rubber lines. they can collapse internally due to lack of maintance, if you check them often it's easy to tell. also while your under there go ahead and lube everything up, by the sounds of it its probley time. If your system checks out visually start looking at operation of your M/C but a good candidate is the Proportioning valve. if you rarely flush your system and miosture collects it will rust out and old brake fluid will also breakdown the rubber lines, one reason for internally collapsed lines, and the rubber residue can clog other lines, prop valve, M/C, ect.....
If you feel this is over your head take it to a shop, it can seem simple but it is no laughing matter. bad breaks kill people PERIOD.
Most shops have a free inspection, if they do get their opinion. if it seems they are trying to gouge you politley thank them but tell them you dont have enough money right then, ask others around you about what they said before you go back. If the price seems fair dont jerk them around, if they are the cheapest shop in town and you waste their time your price just went up or the quality of work went down!
One last thing to think of, if your brakes are real bad they may say they are not allowed to let you to leave the shop untill it is properly repaired. Happened to a friend of mine, she went in for a free inspection and they wouldnt let her take the car untill she got $300 worth of work!! I went and straightened things out w/ the manager and a local buddy of mine that is a sheriff.
Good luck man, Jeremy

Back