• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

POP!

POLAR_JEEP_04

NAXJA Forum User
I have a popping sound coming from the front of my jeep (95, dana 30, RE 5.5", 35" TSLs) I thought it was the tie rod end on the tie rod so I up graded to a HD tie rod with new ends, the sound is still there and now I think its coming from the wheel area ( I can "feel" the pop with my hand on the tire) oh yeah and it only happens when I turn??? and i searched! thanks

universal joint is probaly shot look for rust coming out of the bearing caps, and rock axle shaft at the universal to feel for play

u joints are fairly new... ok i leaned up againest the passenger tire POP so i pulled to top of the tire and pushed it and POP again (XJ is on the ground parked)??? could it be a loose bolt holding the hub on???

check the track bar bracket and the track bar itself to make sure its tight... I had the same "popping" sounds from that a while ago...

Sounds like it might be a ball joint failing. Wait until you start to drive it down the high-way, and the front decides to go into D/W. Mine is currently doing this on the pass. side (feels like it, anyway) any time you go past about 40-45 MPH. The good (?) news is that it smoothes back out after you pass 85. :wow: It is just one wild, shakey ride until then. Tomrrow is a def. maint. day.

Last edited:
You may want to go and pull the LCA loose to look at the mount. I finally went and started taking things apart this morning, and I found that the LCA mount bolt holes had oblonged, or "egged", bad enough to let the axle walk back and forth almost 3/8"s' each way! problem found. Solution: weld hardend washers over said oblongs. In work.

well I looked, I dont have sway bars, LCA look fine the whole passenger side looks great (thats the side i hear the pop) so i checked the driver side and the ball joints are shot and my ujoint could be replaced again but i didnt have time to check the tightness of bolts so next time i go to my shop im going to install alloy usa dana 30 seals and tightn everything up and replace the one side ball joints and look for x706 axle shafts

i say u need new ball joints!ball joints make a clicking noise when they turn if there shot... raise it up and grap the top and bottom of the tire.... shack it back and forth if theres too much play the ball joints are done...

blackdoutxj said:
i say u need new ball joints!ball joints make a clicking noise when they turn if there shot... raise it up and grap the top and bottom of the tire.... shack it back and forth if theres too much play the ball joints are done...

read above

polar_jeep_04 said:
read above
hah my bad. readin the whole thread helps;)

Back