• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smog component/portion question

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
So there is this law
Allright, got the book out. It is the Smog Check Inspection Manual, issued by the BAR, revision 6, dated Aug. 2002.

Appendix K: Smog check requirements for modifications and add-on parts. Page K-4 Category I. Items not of concern: Non-thermostatically controlled air cleaners and/or elements. (Note: Applicable PCV and/or EVAP systems must remain closed with the new air cleaner assembly installed. Additionally, any other emission related components must remain intact.)
Which means that I can do whatever I want to my air intake as long as the above is met. The question I have: the breather tube on top of the valve cover up front: would it be part of pcv system by any chance? If so y'all think it's still closed with me just having a small filter hanging off it?

It is part of the emmisions. Not a PCV but CCV. That tube is supposed to draw clean air from the air box through the valve cover. The small tube at the back of the valve cover is the CCV and should have vacuum to the intake manifold. I guess it would depend on the inspector, it seems like it would do the same job the way you have it.

with just a small filter hanging off of it, it will be considered "open" and most likely they won't even start the test. i had a friend with a 'yota running a cai setup that had a little k&n filter for the intake side of the pcv system. it failed the visual.

Back