• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

full skids...Up-country?

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
We just picked up a sweet '98 that has a full set of factory skids. (gas tank, t-case, front skid)
Does this mean it's an Up-Country? I didn't see any tow hooks.
Is there another way to tell?
Thanks.

I pulled some factory skids off and earlier Loredo. That might indicate skids were available on more than just Up Country models.

BillR said:
This one says Sport on the side, but I wasn't sure...

Skids could be ordered independently of the Up-Country package. If it also has front tow hooks, it's probably an Up-Country.

To find out what it left the factory with, go here. Fill out the form, and explain that you're requesting the option sheet for the vehicle. They'll get it to you within 24-48 hours, though the response is typically faster than that.

You could order skids separately.

Here's spec from http://www.lotpro.com/cars/1997/jeep/cherokee/options/

SKID PLATE GROUP
-inc: fuel tank, transfer case, front suspension shields

Up-Country had a 1" lift as well as the skids. IIRC a bigger alternator and a tranny cooler were also part of the package.

UP COUNTRY SUSPENSION
-inc: fuel tank/transfer case/front suspension skid plates, trac-lok differential, max engine cooling, full size spare tire, front/rear tow hooks, off highway increased height suspension, liftgate mounted "Up Country" decal, P225/75R15 Wrangler tires *deletes rear stabilizer bar*

yep, full skids could be had independent of the up-country option. my '96 has the up-country-full skids, approx. 1" higher suspension, and hooks front and rear.

Yep, mine has no hooks, and still has the rear swaybar. Definitely not an Up-Country...
Nice rig anyway though!
console014.jpg

Last edited:
Up Country XJ's are not always easy to find, but like others said front tow hooks, skids and no rear sway bar are good clues.

My 2000 XJ SPORT with Up- Country pkg.

MyXJ20062.jpg

JEEPPIC1.jpg

The front skid is a great addition to any XJ with less than 4" lift, It will protect your tie rod, keep water/mud off the altenater/fan, and help kick you over obstacles.

I have one w/3.5"s of lift and love it.
spacers2ye4.jpg

Ten High said:
i just noticed that the avatar in photographermike's post looks exactly like my '96, right down to the weird bright jade paint. cool.

Yeah, looks like Forest Service surplus!

Back