• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air conditioner not staying cold.

newjeepowner

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone. I have noticed lately that my air conditioning starts out blowing freezing cold then about 10 minutes later it does not blow cold anymore. Does it sound like i am getting low on freon? It was 92 degrees today when this happened. When I tried the air conditioner anh hour later it did the same thing.

A '99 would use R134a. You should see placards around the compressor.

I'd ask, have you checked the charge? Do not add unless it's low. Do you see any frost on the components once it starts blowing warm again?

This sounds to me like the evaporator is freezing up. I had this happen on another vehicle years ago. It would cool great for a little while but then the air would gradually get warmer. The airflow from the vents was not as strong either. I got a peek at the evaporator and it was covered with ice/frost. If I let the car sit for a while the ice would melt and it would cool great again. Until it froze up again. I'm not sure but it might have been caused by an overcharged system.

Back