• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No brake pressure after doing brakes?

canadianwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished swapping in a d30 from a 86 into my 92. Everything went great expect i cant get steady brake pressure at the pedal. I installed new calipers and blend them at least 20 times each. Once i leave the pedal for 5 secs after bleeding the system is goes right to the floor.

any ideas?

You didn't happen to let the brake fluid resivoir get empty during the process, did you? If you did you'll also need to bleed that as well.

If not, bleed all of the brakes....check for leaks......

Try pulling the rear line from the MC, and putting a plug (threaded) into that port. Is pedal high and hard, and does it still fall to the floor after full release? If yes, leave the rear plugged, and plug the front line. What do you get? This should isolate your problem between front, rear, and MC.

Did you check to make sure you put the calipers on the correct sides of the axle? I know it sounds silly, but I recently replaced the calipers on my 2000 XJ and couldn't keep brake pressure to save my life and had no clue why. Well I did some reading on the wonderful internet and realized my calipers were on the wrong sides:flamemad::flamemad:Easiest way to tell is that the bleeder screws are supposed to be on the top side of the caliper and not the bottom. I know this may sound noobish but it's what happened to me and maybe worth thinking about.

bizzo said:
Did you check to make sure you put the calipers on the correct sides of the axle? I know it sounds silly, but I recently replaced the calipers on my 2000 XJ and couldn't keep brake pressure to save my life and had no clue why. Well I did some reading on the wonderful internet and realized my calipers were on the wrong sides:flamemad::flamemad:Easiest way to tell is that the bleeder screws are supposed to be on the top side of the caliper and not the bottom. I know this may sound noobish but it's what happened to me and maybe worth thinking about.

Been there, done that:gee:

bizzo said:
ditto:(

bizzo said:

Make that 3 of us:gonnablow

Only I bought mine from advanced as a driver side caliper only after a lot of brake fluid did I finally realize they sold me a pass side caliper and the bleeder was not on top. Exchanged it and 2nd caliper was boxed wrong too. 3rd one was finally right.

Lesson learned.

Barger said:
Make that 3 of us:gonnablow

Only I bought mine from advanced as a driver side caliper only after a lot of brake fluid did I finally realize they sold me a pass side caliper and the bleeder was not on top. Exchanged it and 2nd caliper was boxed wrong too. 3rd one was finally right.

Lesson learned.

Taking a look late last night at the calipers i do think they might be upside down. The bleeder screw is on the bottom of the caliper, so they are wrong....? I double checked the box's that the calipers came with and it seems to be right.

Anyone got a pick of a 90 - older caliper mounted?

They're wrong. Think about it. You can't get the air that's in the caliper cylinder if the bleed port is not at the highest point. You should have a left and a right caliper. The are different, so that when inbstalled the bleed screw is at the top.

I am getting really frustrated now. I flipped the calipers over so the bleeders screw are now facing up, bled the system and still a soft pedal. I pump the pedal 3 or 4 times then the pedal gets hard. Wait 10 secs and then it goes really soft. All the way to the floor.

Quick run down of setup ... maybe i missed somthing

I swapped in a 86 d30. I used 92 hubs and rotors with 86 calipers. Stayed with my 92 brake lines.

My advice is to go pick up a vacume brake bleeder. it's basicly a hand-held vacume pump with a little jar on the input side. You hook up the hose, open the bleed valve, and start pumping. litteraly sucks all the air out of the system. I have one, and i'll never go back to the pump pedal and pray method.

xjbubba said:
Try pulling the rear line from the MC, and putting a plug (threaded) into that port. Is pedal high and hard, and does it still fall to the floor after full release? If yes, leave the rear plugged, and plug the front line. What do you get? This should isolate your problem between front, rear, and MC.

Step back, take a breath of air (or a can of beer), and think about isolating the problem. Inspect all connections for signs of leaking. You may not see a drip, but insure each connection is dry, then pump the pedal and hold high pressure on the pedal for a count of 10. Then recheck for "weeping" by dragging your dry, clean finger accross/arround the connection. Any dampness is a place where air can get in.
Try following my prior suggestion to isolate the problem, as quoted, above.

I FIGURED IT OUT!

There was 2 problems which caused me to have no brake pressure.
1) I had the calipers upside down. Should of figured that one out a long time ago but the boxes were stamped wrong.

2) The pads were not sitting perfect in one of the calipers were caused the caliper to not close properly.

Good on you, as they say "down under":clap:
Good to see you stuck with it.

xjbubba said:
Good on you, as they say "down under":clap:
Good to see you stuck with it.

Thanks for the help. I took your advice and cracked a beer and when i did i noticed that the inside pad was just not looking right. Then i felt really dumb..

Back